When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT II Ceramic various models

pennypacker

Hi everybody,

First of all I am very impressed with the knowledge in this forum. Enthusiasm for details and the little things is just fantastic.

I know how it is when people comes as newbees to an old forum with old questions. And asks them again. I`ve been searching threads about my interest in the GMT Master II Ceramic. And I realize that this information about certain qualities in different models and from what factory and which supplier.....must be in some ways "fresh information". My thought was to attach a few pictures of a couple of models thats interesting. And maybe you could help me with the essentials regarding a successful buy and what to do and not to do.

GMT II Pro Hunter

GMT II SS

GMT II Yellow Gold Green Dial

post-30662-052346800 1285184233.png

post-30662-090456900 1285184238.png

post-30662-045190700 1285184249.jpg

Hi pp, welcome aboard! Nice to see, that new members also try the search function first :-)

For the GMT II C I am not an expert. AFAIK, there are movements with correct hand stack, where you can adjust the hour hand, also called CHS. you should stay away from these movements, because they are not reliable. The reliable ones, where you can adjust the GMT hand, are recommended here. Also called ICHS.

Then you should have a closer look to the dials, the rehaut engraving (allignment), the magnification of the cyclops, the crystal, the crown position, case, date font, bezel font and color.....

You see, it seems to be not so easy at the beginning.

Regarding the Pro Hunter GMT, just type in Pro Hunter in the search bar - there are some really interesting threads about the PVD coating.

I would suggest you take a look into the dealers section on the board, look for BK's watch Garage. He has the best and modded GMT II at the moment. Don't know, if he can also supply with the Ceramic version.

Did you do a research for GMT II in the Rolex Area? I guess there is is exactly the information that you are looking for.

It also depends where you are located, to give a statement from whom to buy. It makes a difference, if you are in Europe, or not. If you live in a country with tough customs, and so on...

Good luck,

Cheers, J

Hi pp, welcome aboard! Nice to see, that new members also try the search function first :-)

For the GMT II C I am not an expert. AFAIK, there are movements with correct hand stack, where you can adjust the hour hand, also called CHS. you should stay away from these movements, because they are not reliable. The reliable ones, where you can adjust the GMT hand, are recommended here. Also called ICHS.

Then you should have a closer look to the dials, the rehaut engraving (allignment), the magnification of the cyclops, the crystal, the crown position, case, date font, bezel font and color.....

You see, it seems to be not so easy at the beginning.

Regarding the Pro Hunter GMT, just type in Pro Hunter in the search bar - there are some really interesting threads about the PVD coating.

I would suggest you take a look into the dealers section on the board, look for BK's watch Garage. He has the best and modded GMT II at the moment. Don't know, if he can also supply with the Ceramic version.

Did you do a research for GMT II in the Rolex Area? I guess there is is exactly the information that you are looking for.

It also depends where you are located, to give a statement from whom to buy. It makes a difference, if you are in Europe, or not. If you live in a country with tough customs, and so on...

Good luck,

Cheers, J

Thanks, it feels good to open pandoras box. :)

I tried to search on pvd coating. Found a couple of interresting threads. But how well does the coating handle scratches?

I

For the SS version...read BT's review HERE.

As to who to buy from...if you're in the EU...choose one of the EU shipping dealers to avoid customs issues. It appears the cartel brothers offer this service now too...but you have to make sure to specify it.

BT's Post on ICHS / CHS

There are now about 5 versions of the GMT movement:

Asian 21j modded - the cheap one with varying opinions on reliability...doesn't operate the same as a Rolex gmt movement

Asian ETA Clone modded with Incorrect (Wrong) Hand Stack - ICHS - hand stack order is different from gen Rolex

Asian Rolex 3186 (nickel plated ETA Clone with Rolex decorated bridges) modded with Incorrect (Wrong) Hand Stack - ICHS - hand stack order is different from gen Rolex

Swiss ETA ICHS - considered reliable, but as with all ICHS movements, they don't function quite the same as the gen Rolex movement

SWISS ETA CHS - Works the same as the gen Rolex movement, but is often considered unreliable, expensive and hard to source

003-2_2__tonemapped1.jpg

Freddy's CHS...note GMT hand sits above hour hand

Most dealers will have the cheap Asian 21J modded, ETA ICHS, and Asian ETA ICHS. The bezel engraving on the GMT IIC can be good if you get the right one. Look for By-Tor's review above and additional posts on the GMT IIc...he is one of the big authorities on it, and has posted TONNES of info comparing various versions of it. I think he got his from Precious Time in the EU.

Welcome to the forum...the fun begins.

For the SS version...read BT's review HERE.

As to who to buy from...if you're in the EU...choose one of the EU shipping dealers to avoid customs issues. It appears the cartel brothers offer this service now too...but you have to make sure to specify it.

BT's Post on ICHS / CHS

There are now about 5 versions of the GMT movement:

Asian 21j modded - the cheap one with varying opinions on reliability...doesn't operate the same as a Rolex gmt movement

Asian ETA Clone modded with Incorrect (Wrong) Hand Stack - ICHS - hand stack order is different from gen Rolex

Asian Rolex 3186 (nickel plated ETA Clone with Rolex decorated bridges) modded with Incorrect (Wrong) Hand Stack - ICHS - hand stack order is different from gen Rolex

Swiss ETA ICHS - considered reliable, but as with all ICHS movements, they don't function quite the same as the gen Rolex movement

SWISS ETA CHS - Works the same as the gen Rolex movement, but is often considered unreliable, expensive and hard to source

003-2_2__tonemapped1.jpg

Freddy's CHS...note GMT hand sits above hour hand

Most dealers will have the cheap Asian 21J modded, ETA ICHS, and Asian ETA ICHS. The bezel engraving on the GMT IIC can be good if you get the right one. Look for By-Tor's review above and additional posts on the GMT IIc...he is one of the big authorities on it, and has posted TONNES of info comparing various versions of it. I think he got his from Precious Time in the EU.

Welcome to the forum...the fun begins.

Thanks!

I was thinking about the GMT II in pro hunter edition. How much wear and tear does the coating handle before looking bad? I searched and hasn

• 10 months later...

Thanks!

I was thinking about the GMT II in pro hunter edition. How much wear and tear does the coating handle before looking bad? I searched and hasn�t found anything. Or maybe I just suck at searching. :)

Milgauss in pvd coating and green glass. Looks awesome.

I recently bought a Pro Hunter the coating was great but the bezel's rotating wheel seemed really cheap. Just doesn't have the reassuring sturdiness.