When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Suspicious 1016 Explorer

lhooq

After several 1016 projects, I thought I would be able to tell instantly whether an old Explorer were legit or not, but sometimes it's not that easy.

Auction #280564471458

The watch itself seems legitimate in the pictures, which are taken from a distance and not particularly clear. The seller claims it to be an heirloom, purchased by his father in Casablanca (with accompanying brochure and original box), then recently serviced by Rolex, who kept all the old parts. Seller also says the watch was featured in On Her Majesty's Secret Service (false) and that the dial has luminous round markers (round, stick, whatever), but these are minor things.

From the pictures alone we should be suspicious, but here's where it starts to unravel. Check the seller's recent feedback as a buyer and you'll see that he bought a vintage Rolex box just last month. And wouldn't you know it... it's the exact same one that he says his father bought in 1965. What a search that must have been! If he's willing to lie about the box, you have to wonder what else is wrong with the package. Unfortunately, the only other recent purchase that may be relevant is a private transaction with a vintage watch seller. At best, he bought an actual 1016. More likely, he bought the brochure. Besides, why keep a brochure from 1965, but not the manual and other papers?

Which brings us back to the watch itself. In light of the above, we need to look at it much more critically. The dial looks good, the hands look good, but I'm less convinced by the shape of the midcase. Look at final shot in the series: The lugs seem blunt, and the holes too far from the edges, which leads me to suspect the case comes from a Datejust. That's not a whole lot of evidence, but that's all I've got in the absence of better photos.

And it's the lack of good photos and other sketchy details that lead me to doubt this watch. I'm not 100% sure that it's fake, but I would have enough doubts to walk away. (Or hit CTRL+W.)

Bid with trepidation.