When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Non E0117 fiddy caseback

Snrubb

I have only seen 581 and I think 492 but defo 581. I got mine from TswissT, he does them on a couple of his rep 203s so I guess most of the rep dealers can get them. The OP is for the 127 not 203 plus he does 2 versions one with OP etc one without OP but with S/N etc

He aint a TD here though but I have used him. He usually can get most parts if not just get the watch and sell on.

Good tips.... I have been told that regular cartel casebacks don't fit on EL cases. Can anyone confirm that?

I have had various success with different variants. I dont know enough to say which ones to be honest.

I had an old school case CB, that didnt fit, I had an ultimate CB from the cartel that didnt fit, but a couple of cheaper ones did. Hence why I got the 203 (this is a mega crap version but it had the CB, it was mineral but was visually better than feel) which did. I was told by a dealer he could source fiddies from 5 different factories so I guess its pot luck.

D will know better than me.

I am with Pete. It isn't that simple. I can tell you from years ago that the 581 did not fit and I can't remember on the 492. But there are different variants. Both the 581 and 492 originally related to Eddie's first three generations of fidy cases which were vastly inferior to the legendary fourth generation.

It is surprising no one has ever bribed Davidsen to run a different set of numbers. I though I had heard he was running different serial numbers for the 24 and 25 in which case he might be open minded to doing it.

Yeah, the "problem" with DSN Fiddy is that it's one of the only two models (217 Destro is the second) he doesn't make, instead he sources the casesets and dials from the Cartel factories directly. His own casemaker doesn't produce 127/217 cases and dials. Not exactly sure why, it may be that the cost pricepoint wasn't high enough to justify the new 127/217 caseset R&D and production by his own maker.

As Pete and W have mentioned above (good memory re those 127 CB numbers Pete, BTW)...there were 3 different well finished Fiddy casebacks made in the past that I've come across in my hunt for that elusive Ultimate Fiddy build - 0117, 0581 and 0492. There may be one or two more, but I've never seen another one in the wild (well made decent one, that is), so please take this with a grain of salt.

The 0117 is everywhere, not much to talk about really. The 0492 is the least seen one, and although of slightly different finish than the other two (depth and width of the engraved text) peeps that have this one should consider themselves a bit 'luckier' than the rest of us 'mortals' :).

The 0581 came for example on my 3rd Fiddy from Andrew in 2007, the one well known for exploding xtals and made by that 'other' rep company. The case set it came with was all over the place, incorrect dimensions and bad finish especially around the areas where the lugs meet the case. But it had a very nice dial with crisp ivory color LP text and correct position of 1950 above 6 o'clock. I can confirm that 0581 CB fitted the standard EL one that came with 0117 CB, and vice-versa. They should be both interchangeable. I cannot confirm the 0492 though as I never owned one, as hard as I tried.

Hope this above makes some sense, if any. This is just my personal observation, so don't flame me...please. :)

cheers,

D

Yeah, the "problem" with DSN Fiddy is that it's one of the only two models (217 Destro is the second) he doesn't make, instead he sources the casesets and dials from the Cartel factories directly. His own casemaker doesn't produce 127/217 cases and dials. Not exactly sure why, it may be that the cost pricepoint wasn't high enough to justify the new 127/217 caseset R&D and production by his own maker.

As Pete and W have mentioned above (good memory re those 127 CB numbers Pete, BTW)...there were 3 different well finished Fiddy casebacks made in the past that I've come across in my hunt for that elusive Ultimate Fiddy build - 0117, 0581 and 0492. There may be one or two more, but I've never seen another one in the wild (well made decent one, that is), so please take this with a grain of salt.

The 0117 is everywhere, not much to talk about really. The 0492 is the least seen one, and although of slightly different finish than the other two (depth and width of the engraved text) peeps that have this one should consider themselves a bit 'luckier' than the rest of us 'mortals' :).

The 0581 came for example on my 3rd Fiddy from Andrew in 2007, the one well known for exploding xtals and made by that 'other' rep company. The case set it came with was all over the place, incorrect dimensions and bad finish esecially around the areas where the lugs meet the case. But it had a very nice dial with crisp ivory color LP text and correct position of 1950 above 6 o'clock. I can confirm that 0581 CB fitted the standard EL one that came with 0117 CB, and vice-versa. They should be both interchangeable. I cannot confirm the 0492 though as I never owned one, as hard as I tried.

Hope this above makes some sense, if any. This is just my personal observation, so don't flame me...please. :)

cheers,

D

That is some awesome info right there Babola!

i too am looking for a 581 CB for a franken EL fiddy project. Good to know the 492 won't fit. Thanks for your informative post!

S....just replying toeLuibaka and PeteM comments which refer to a GEN 127 caseback........I know you are not looking for such.

No mate, S is right thats not what I meant!! I cant answer for Luibaka though.

Obviously my humour doesnt translate well !!!!! :clapping::pardon:

And though its not what I meant ,on the serious side of your comment, OP have a number of 217 and 127 casebacks as replacements. I was offered a used gen once but was outbid. It wasnt in great condition but I didnt mind as the weight is whats makes the real difference to me for a franken....

FYI - The question obviously arises about SN etc but OP have set procedure on this, I understand the replacements have everything engraved but the SN is blank, as they do with shadow cases or pre-production runs. This is then inserted when replaced.