When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Submariner 1680 Crystal Question

panerai153

Hi Arthur,

Really, there is no difference. All acrylic Rolex crystals are arbitrarily called 'Tropics'. Not sure how, or why, but they have all assumed that nomenclature, while technically, the Tropics are the crystals without cyclops, and the Cyclope crystals are the ones with the cyclops. I think it's just easier for most in the Rolex collecting circles to blanket all crystals under this umbrella... And hence why it's been made a popular term to use :)

An interesting factoid: "isotropic" is a common term in physics.

i·so·tro·pic (s-trpk, -trpk) adj. "Identical in all directions; invariant with respect to direction."

A "tropic" crystal would be, it seems, the same at every azimuth. Meaning, no matter how you look at it, it should have the same optical properties.

How interesting... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Hmmm... except the fact that distortion occurs at the edges of the 127... but that's the very beauty of it... ;)

Hey Randy, i'm still wondering whether an aftermarket or gen 127 will fit into my asian 1680 from jay... :g:

An interesting factoid: "isotropic" is a common term in physics.

i·so·tro·pic (s-trpk, -trpk) adj. "Identical in all directions; invariant with respect to direction."

A "tropic" crystal would be, it seems, the same at every azimuth. Meaning, no matter how you look at it, it should have the same optical properties.

this is a very intellectually intimidating post... i think i liked it better when you were reviewing stephen stills :D

Hey Randy, i'm still wondering whether an aftermarket or gen 127 will fit into my asian 1680 from jay... :g:

You can probably fit one :) But, you may have to glue the bezel down, or figure out a way to affix it to the case. The 'Asian' 1680's and vintage Rolexes typically use a tension fit bezel which goes around the crystal with a tension spring/spacer, whereas the MBW's/WM's use the retaining ring to hold and seal the crystal to the case (and the bezel then snaps to the retaining ring).

So... It can probably be done. It's just the matter of holding it on that's an issue... :)

You can probably fit one :) But, you may have to glue the bezel down, or figure out a way to affix it to the case. The 'Asian' 1680's and vintage Rolexes typically use a tension fit bezel which goes around the crystal with a tension spring/spacer, whereas the MBW's/WM's use the retaining ring to hold and seal the crystal to the case (and the bezel then snaps to the retaining ring).

So... It can probably be done. It's just the matter of holding it on that's an issue... :)

Hey, thanx for the advice, dude... Will get my watchsmith to try it once i get my hands on a 127 (Erm.. any help on that? :p )

Cheers... :D