When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Learn me up about Pam Rep Mvmt Options.

dannyboy123

OK I guess on handwind reps you look for Swiss 6497 swann neck etc. What about auto,GMT,chrono reps.

Would someone be kind enough to give me a brief run down on what to look for and what the key differences are?

I see some movements have XXXX-1 or XXXX-2, does -2 mean 2nd/newer version or does this relate to position of seconds i.e. @ 9 rather than 3????

I'm quite keen on a few of the Submersible, Chrono, GMT's etc offered by DSN/PC and the like, but I'm finding it hard to understand the various movement options and what sort of quality/reliability those movements offer over one another.

For example if I see a Submersible with Asian 7750, does that mean there is possibly a Swiss 7750 that's better?

Do GMT reps or those with power reserve work as well as those that don't have the additional functionality i.e. more to go wrong?

Sorry if I seem a bit dim, only been into Reps for a few months and trying to assimilate this info is hard because it's not summarised in one post/place.

I appreciate this is a lengthy point to answer, hope someone can offer some clarity. If you could point me to other site that have a dummies guide to all this stuff that'd be a help also.

DannyBoy.

I was you a few months ago. You need a few more months at it'll sink in.

Think about the hand layouts and ignore the dials, when you see a seconds @ 9... 6497. However if you turn it upside down (destro) it becomes... Seconds @ 3. Seconds @ 6 is a 6498. The '-x' is a different beat rate, you need to research that. Wiki it, very helpful.

The 3,6,9 with date at 4.30 is the A7750 with modified gears to move the seconds hand, and is a completely different movt to the 6497. The 649x is handwound, the 775x are automatic.

The 24hr GMTs can be three things. Swiss (rare and really expensive), Asian clones of Swiss (best value and good) and then cheap Asian movts which aren't good. Aim for a clone movt when it cones to GMT movts.

Keep reading, download and study the excel spreadsheet with google on the other side and you'll have pictures to go with the tech and movt info.

Most important, have fun :o)

Actually when you see seconds at 9 and date, it is most likely an Asian 7750 (A7750) or ETA 7750 with the chrono parts removed. No date and wind up, then it would probably be 6497 (or its Asian copies, like the Seagull ST36).

As for the "-1" and "-2" suffix, they refer to the beat of the movement, the former being low and the latter being high.