When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AP Deployment Clasp Issue

Samurai

Hi

Got an AP recently which has a rep leather strap with standard rep deployment clasp. The problem is that the clasp doesn't stay closed....it locks into position but then pops open with the slightest of jerks.

Is there a fix to this issue? Am afraid that the clasp will open up while I am wearing it and the watch will fall off the wrist.

Thanks

OK...this is the one with easy fix.

You just need to bend one of the 2 folding parts of the clasp (one of the AP parts)...just look carefully how the clasp closes....2 little teeth (on the left side part of the foldings in your pic) grapping on the edges of the other part (right side in your pic).

Bending it with the curve will tighten it up, bending it against the curve will loosen it again.

Theo

OK...this is the one with easy fix.

You just need to bend one of the 2 folding parts of the clasp (one of the AP parts)...just look carefully how the clasp closes....2 little teeth (on the left side part of the foldings in your pic) grapping on the edges of the other part (right side in your pic).

Bending it with the curve will tighten it up, bending it against the curve will loosen it again.

Theo

Hmm... I'll try that if I still can find the darn thing. These things are so flimsy they bend under any pressure at all. Will they 'bite' more into the wrist if they are curve in more?

The pic shows the strap mounted like the AP factory will do it.

Many owners (gens and reps) and me as well, we just mount the strap the other way around (long strap part at 12, short part at 6)

That way it should no longer dig in your wrist! :victory:

Theo

P.S.: take care while bending....just a little bit of pressure and it just needs to move a fraction!!!

Thanks Theo....this has been a massive help.

I bent the clasp inwards....and then it wouldn't lock at all. So bent it outwards a bit and it locked.

Since then it seems to be holding up fine (am wearing the watch and it hasn't popped open in the last 20 min).....so am hoping that it's been fixed.

...good to hear....and now try to mount the strap the other way around like I explained above, this will also help to make it more comfortable.

Theo

...good to hear....and now try to mount the strap the other way around like I explained above, this will also help to make it more comfortable.

Theo

Theo

Theo

Will try mounting the strap the other way round and let you know.

Cheers

Yeah, the stupid clasp is so uncomfortable that I decided to find a better deployment. Doing ebay searching, I found this excellent deployment:

post-6192-046884500 1288053339.jpg

post-6192-063917100 1288053351.jpg

post-6192-069243700 1288053364.jpg

The deployment works fine and the fit is perfect. It's 1.000.000e99 times better than the rep clasp.

If someone is interested you can buy one HERE. The price is only $11 shipped worldwide.

cheers