When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2 Days with a 250, and now some questions about Date + Lever

BuyersRemorse

Hi,

I have been playing around with my PAM, and found the following. When I pull the crown, then set the time, and then try to push back the crown by closing the lever, i see that the crown sometimes bends quite lot. Doesn't look O.K., so i was just curious if that's normal how it is, and if I should strictly avoid doing that in the future. (Check out the vid below)

Further: On 12pm the date isn't jumping to the next day immediately. Its changing slowly from around 11 pm on, so during a short period of time I see the half of both dates in the date window. Is it OK? Is the gen working the same way?

Thanks

Same in swiss 7750/3

That's why one should not change date between 8pm-4am to stay on safe side.

The date gear starts to engage with the date wheel around 7pm and disengages totally by 2 am, if you attempt to do a quick date change during the engagement, you will damage the watch.

Common issue on the reps, various reasons mostly common sense.

I dont use this method to close the crown myself except on the gens. I especially wouldnt on these ones given Zigs comments on the crown and stems issues ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Everything sounds fine on your watch. I will say that my gen movement does change the date over more quickly than my franken with generic 7753. I don't know this but have always thought that might be due to the rework by Panerai on the movement and using a stronger spring or ratchet. I once had Ziggy service a gen at the same time as a franken and he noted a fair amount of rework. Even little things like the date setting pusher having a 3 piece mechanism designed to ensure the pusher contacts the movement correctly as opposed to the rep which has the pusher and spring simply sitting in a hole in the movement ring. On the crown I always push it in before shutting the lever on both rep and gen.Why put the stress on the stem/keyless works? Given the way the lever works when you close it you are by definition putting lateral stress on everything when it is designed to simply go in and out.