When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

antireflective coating

kingkaiser

One of the distinguishing factors of gen Breitlings is their phenomenal AR, something the reps haven't been able to replicate well when I checked 2 yrs back. Was wondering what the current state of AR on Breitling reps is, from current owners. I'm seeing some incredible AR on Hublots, etc (not Chief-level AR, but impressive nonetheless). So the basic question is: Does rep Breitling AR compare well to the gen, or are we still miles away? (particularly interested in the blacksteel versions)

Thanks all!

One of the distinguishing factors of gen Breitlings is their phenomenal AR, something the reps haven't been able to replicate well when I checked 2 yrs back. Was wondering what the current state of AR on Breitling reps is, from current owners. I'm seeing some incredible AR on Hublots, etc (not Chief-level AR, but impressive nonetheless). So the basic question is: Does rep Breitling AR compare well to the gen, or are we still miles away? (particularly interested in the blacksteel versions)

Thanks all!

Not miles away, but not the same coating as the gen. Many of the reps are using a good quality AR coating. The gen Breitling AR coating is different though. It's more effective, and more expensive. I know what their secret sauce is. :) But, nevertheless, the rep coating I've seen on at least a few models is still not bad.

Thanks guys - at some point down the line, I'll probably make the move and buy me a blacksteel or a super avenger (since its a pretty damned good rep).

Wish I was in the EU/US so I could avail of chief's services without worrying about things getting lost all the time - till then gotta trust the factories to do a good job...

Thanks!

Thanks guys - at some point down the line, I'll probably make the move and buy me a blacksteel or a super avenger (since its a pretty damned good rep).

Wish I was in the EU/US so I could avail of chief's services without worrying about things getting lost all the time - till then gotta trust the factories to do a good job...

Thanks!

The Breitling reps In general are pretty good,the sa even better,should be satisfied. Let us know what you think when you get your SA :)

Not miles away, but not the same coating as the gen. Many of the reps are using a good quality AR coating. The gen Breitling AR coating is different though. It's more effective, and more expensive. I know what their secret sauce is. :) But, nevertheless, the rep coating I've seen on at least a few models is still not bad.

Chief, if you know the secret sauce, let me run a theory by you.

I've been trying to figure out what makes it so good and I've noticed that the coatings on both sides of the crystal are different, they are different in tint and seem different in refracted light too. What I'm thinking is they are using one coating to avoid reflecting either certain tones or certain incidences and the other coating to avoid reflecting the opposite side of the spectrum.

This is also the case for instance with the V3 Super Avenger, the AR is excellent at cutting reflections (close to gen if not the same) despite the different tint to it and both sides of the crystal also have slightly different reflected tint and reflect slightly different.

Is that what they do? Why is it a more expensive coating?