When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Crown guard on new 236

Craig S

Hi all,

Just recieved some QC pics from Joshua of a 236 I'm buying from him, and was ondering whether you guys could chip in and give me your opinion on the quality of the crown guard? Might be the light, but looks like there is a big hoofing gap (well big in my eyes) between the case and the crown gaurd? I asked Joshua if he could rememdy this, but he said that they are all like that. However, I have seen plenty of examples that dont have this problem.

Your thoughts guys?

post-26907-0-43144500-1289052610.jpg

post-26907-0-51421200-1289052627.jpg

Looks fine mate, what you suggest wont be considered a big issue by the dealers.

Thats better than most, the ones you have seen may well of been slightly adjusted by the owners ;)

He, that looks nice, and by the way i see that the canion pins are not painted black like the gen... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

They fixed that glaring fault, haven't they...after most of us already bought one...b'stards!!!

I just close one eye when looking at the dial, LOL! :D

post-26907-0-51421200-1289052627.jpg

On the other hand, it seems to be a one step forward two steps back in a well known GZ fashion once again, the dial lume has now become radioactive-green in color, non-matching with hands...?! Though that could be the photo effect...not sure about it :g:

All things considered, it's still one heck of a watch for under $400.

cheers,

b

Yes - that is a pretty big gap. But, they are all like that. Read through the posts - the fix is to take the CG off and "pinch" it super-carefully in a vice, one tiny bit at a time. By doing this - others have been able to make it flush. They also mention that it only bends the top part (where the lever is - since that is where the metal is the weakest - so the "pinching" is lopsided - but nearly impossible to tell.

Or - you just accept it and leave it alone. The problem with this hobby, is that once you see it - it is all you see.

The watch will be going off to Domi for a service first thing, so I'll ask him to sort canion pin colour and see if he can sort anything with the crown guard. Funny how such tiny inconsistencies bug you. I've never had a paneria (im a rolex and breitling fan and know my stuff about them) but panerai is new territory for me. The things i could tell you about the breitling reps however lol. But its all part of the fun eh. I still find it amazing how the factories can make everything so so accurate and then [censored] up tiny details. I concur with a lot of peoples view, it is so that they can make multiple versions with improved elements, whilst introducing new flaws. Thus keeping us buying for ever. haha

I've got a vintage red dub 1680 coming in the same shipment with the 236 btw. Cannot wait. :)

The watch will be going off to Domi for a service first thing, so I'll ask him to sort canion pin colour ...

To do exactly what? :brow:

I think you misunderstood the post from Gert-Jan...it's already great as is, and he was referring to the ring areas on three little chrono hands, not the cannon pin. Have a look at my photo above.

All is good, cheers! :)

b

Depressing on the sub dial hands, I was just having mine modded!!

I cant tell from pics but are these coned like the gen or flat like the current reps? Anyone know?