When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Do Apple sell unlocked Ipad 3Gs in US?

concepta

The answer is no. I know I tried. AT&T are the only seller of the Iphone in the USA. You can buy a phone with no contract, but they will not unlock it. I have been a Bellsouth and then AT&T customer for at least 45 years. I have been an AT&T wireless customer since they opened their first store here. I tried to get my wife's 3GS unlocked for her last summer before she went on her annual trip to Ukraine. In the past I have never had a problem with getting her phones unlocked so that she could use an incountry SIM card. No luck this time. I was told that AT&T couldn't unlock the phones,as that was controlled by Apple.It is all controlled by Apple thru their computer system, probably the ITunes store.

You can buy supposedly unlocked 3G's as well as 3GS's, but in essence they are just phones that have been "jailbroken". I'm like you, I have her 3GS, but I wouldn't want to take a chance because if you do something wrong, you could end up with a nice black paperweight!

I have heard that tyhere are some countries in your part of the world, possibly Sweden, Denmark, you would need to research, but by law wireless phones must be sold unlocked. From what i understand the Apple IPhones sold there are sold unlocked. If you get on some of the IPone forums, those guys can answer all your questions, and tell you where you may be able to buy one.

Good Luck

The answer is no. I know I tried. AT&T are the only seller of the Iphone in the USA. You can buy a phone with no contract, but they will not unlock it. I have been a Bellsouth and then AT&T customer for at least 45 years. I have been an AT&T wireless customer since they opened their first store here. I tried to get my wife's 3GS unlocked for her last summer before she went on her annual trip to Ukraine. In the past I have never had a problem with getting her phones unlocked so that she could use an incountry SIM card. No luck this time. I was told that AT&T couldn't unlock the phones,as that was controlled by Apple.It is all controlled by Apple thru their computer system, probably the ITunes store.

You can buy supposedly unlocked 3G's as well as 3GS's, but in essence they are just phones that have been "jailbroken". I'm like you, I have her 3GS, but I wouldn't want to take a chance because if you do something wrong, you could end up with a nice black paperweight!

I have heard that tyhere are some countries in your part of the world, possibly Sweden, Denmark, you would need to research, but by law wireless phones must be sold unlocked. From what i understand the Apple IPhones sold there are sold unlocked. If you get on some of the IPone forums, those guys can answer all your questions, and tell you where you may be able to buy one.

Good Luck

The topic says IPADs ;-)

Difference??? :)

Sorry, I must have been half asleep whenI read your post. i don't know about Ipads. I would imagine the wireless function would work anywhere you have wireless, but who knows about the 3G network?

I just did some "Googling" and this is what I found. You nmay want to do some further research, I Googled "Will the USA IPad work in other countries" This is one answer from the Ipad Forum.net IPad Info

Looks like it will work ok in other countries, you just need a microsim card from your carrier in Europe.

So you can´t use it with a Swedish SIM?

If your SIM has 3G passport or equivilent then yes BUT you will be data roaming and that would cost $$$$$$$$

The US iPad comes in 2 versions WiFi enabled and WiFi and 3G enabled using a minimum of 30 day data contract with AT&T.

In UK you can pay extra to service provider for 3G data provision abroad without data roaming last time it was £10 a day but I cant answer with other countries

As i said before, I'm no IPAd expert, but after reading on the IPAd forum, I'm under the impression that the IPad comes unlocked. This was reiterated by Steve Jobs at the IPad introduction several months ago. According to the guys on the forum, several of which have IPads that were bought in the USA, are using them in the UK as well as other countries in Europe. What they said was you pay the regular rates for data that you normally do from your carrier in Europe. One fellow did say that he had to buy a micro SIM and set up and account in several countries to avoid roaming charges. From what he is saying, roaming charges are stiill a big problem in the EU. Here in the USA, they are just about a thing of the past, as most carriers are national or have national contracts with other carriers.It sounds like in the EU, you almost have to change SIM cards every time you cross a border!