When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Alternatives to the 2846

highoeyazmuhudee

looking for low beat movement candidates to replace a 2836

i know most would just say "use a 2846"

but after doing some reading the thought of using a such a low grade movement originally intended by swatch to be disposable after 10 years in a $1000+ franken just doesnt seem like it fits the project to me.

so what i know so far is this:

a 2836 has a ligne of 11.5", DM=25.6, and H=5.2-5.3mm

hand sizes= 90/150/25

im looking for a drop in replacement with a beat rate as close to 19,800 as possible.

after some research my list of candidates so far are:

ETA caliber:

these represent calibers with the correct specs as the 2836 the stem height might be .1-.3 different

my next contenders with the correct dimensions are true vintage work horses, and maybe even chronometers, but i cant find enough information and the COSC seemed to have been just getting established. each caliber is essentially the same movement.

tissot 2511

tissot 2481

Omega 1480

Omega 1481

these have a frequency of 18,000 and the dimensions fit the 2836 as far as i can tell. i can not however find what the hand sizes are, but eta seems to have very set standards. so if someone happened to know the hand sizes for any of the above caliber it would be great and please add a reply.

last and fortunately least i would suck it up and get me a 2846, or 2842. im doubting it since tudor would have used one of my above mentioned movements, but would these swatch disposables be offered in something higher than basic eco grade?