When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

42mm PO... What's the best game in town?

makeboss

omega-seamaster-planet-ocean-watch-profile.jpg

Look at that damn beauty.

My first rep was a great 42mm PO (black bezel, orange lettering) from Narikaa on Repgeek forums - The price was reasonable and asides from the pearl, I was very satisfied with my purchasem experience. Sadly, the crystal shattered seemingly out of the blue! Gah!! Instead of making the intelligent move (contacting the dealer or finding a replacement crystal), I tossed the whole thing in the garbage, wishing I had sprung for for a pricier and hopefully better-made rep.

Although I obviously don't NEED a new rep, but revisiting the forums and seeing the gorgeous pictures of other member's reps and franken-rep projects, I'm drooling over the thoughts of having another gorgeous orangey-black slab of metal sitting heavy on my wrist.

The problem is that, as I understand it, the rep game moves very quickly and quality is touch-and-go. Can you guys get me up to speed?

Is there a trusted dealer that offers a high-quality 42.5mm Speedmaster planet ocean? My previous purchase was ~150 USD, but many dealers charge 238 and higher, but is there any guarantee of greater quality for a greater price? I'm absolutely willing to spend more for something that will last longer than the 2 months or so that my previous, inexpensive PO got me.

Edit: Authenticity can be passable, quality of the build is over greater concern. I want to be able to add a nylon or rubber strap in the future, and possibly swap out the bezel.

Edited by makeboss

• 10 months later...

Old thread I know, but I have had a (budget) PO for a week. Bought from one of the trusted vendors and the crystal shattered for no reason as well. I just don't understand it. When I received the watch it had a dented bezel insert, that was being worked out as a new insert was being sent to me, first time I wear the watch outside of the house and the clasp breaks in my hand as I am taking the watch off to show a friend, now I come home and put my daily wearer into the watch box and the PO has a shattered crystal. I never dropped the thing, I have been so careful with it. All of my other watches are fine and the glass top on my watch box is fiine as well. I have PM'ed the dealer, hopefully they send me a new watch or refund my money.

$110, its very nice for the money actually, feels very substantial when wearing it. Its not perfect, has happy feet, but the HE valve seems like its in the correct position, has purple tone AR. The seller is fixing everything for me though. Anyway, if you want super budget and super not accurate, look for the $29 PO's in the Omega section.

The a21j Planet Oceans are decent budget buys. Narikaa has them in 42 and 45 mm ... as well as selling rubber straps to fit.

I have one .. just dont expect genuine part fitment.

At the time when I was looking (May this year), there was a 45mm UPO which was very close to the original and 5th gen 42mm with Asian or Swiss movements that looked decent (no happy feet, good dial, solid hands and good bracelet with solid clasp).

As 45mm UPO was too big for my wrist, I got my PO 42mm 5th gen from Lay earlier this year. It's a very good watch, sits nice on the wrist and looks very close to the original. Typical issue is the pearl which, although improved is still not the in the same place as the original. Also, quite a few ppl claim that majority of orig parts fit on this watch including bracelet, clasp (if replacing the rep version with the orig) and bracelet ends, crystal, crown (although you need a new tube for this), HE screw, bezel and hands/date ring/dial (if ETA movement inside I think). Just waiting for one of the recommended modders to take a look at my watch and fit few of the orig bits so that I can get it shine even more.

If you go for a recommended dealer (Narikaa in the UK, Lay in China etc), you are most probably going to get a very good watch that you can start customizing as you wish. Just for about £100+ you can get a genuine clasp and bracelet ends for your 42mm and get it look and feel much better than the rep. Bear in mind that 42mm POs sometimes do have an issue with the clasp which can either cause issues when closing (doesn't click) or can break altogether, so it's one of the recommended bits to replace. Main screw is next I guess as more an more ppl report is as being fragile and failing soon after purchase.

Hope this helps...