When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 31mm Midsize Project

sly

Hey Guys,

Here's a project that I have been wanting to do for a while now. Found a Gen. 31mm case on the bay and a Roman date dial. As you can see on the picture it is a perfect fit, JMB is helping me with this project. Before I start buying the crystal and gen crown I need help on how to go about the DW overlay problem. First plan was to use a 2836 but will not fit in the case so moving on with an ETA 2671 with Justin Machining a movement spacer. The DW is the only problem we can see right now, If anybody can help customizing an overlay for this project or know where to source one let me know. Last resort is just to find a No date dial which I am having a hard time locating one with no diamonds :( . Any help would be great.

Thanks

Sly

post-28963-0-39560900-1291090123.jpg

post-28963-0-32979000-1291090154.jpg

• Like 1

I'm actually doing the same thing, and running into the same problems, I found out that the 2836 is just a HAIR too large also and will need a spacer for a smaller movement. I have the case, bezel and crystal and a face on the way but just need to figure out how and what to put in it so I'm very interested in seeing what you come up with also, I think a gen overlay will work mated to the eta DW or at least that's what I read in a different thread. Just seems like kinda a waste.

I am switching this project to a no date dial to avoid the problems with the overlay. This is becoming a more expensive project but it will be worthwhile to give to the wife for christmas (Hopefully it will make it). Here's my new dial on gen. plate enhancement is still being added like the railroad tracks & swiss made in between the Roman VI. Still waiting for the gen crown & crystal.

post-28963-0-65531900-1291484602.jpg

post-28963-0-23343600-1291484606.jpg

Hi Sly,

I did get your PM, sorry, I haven't been around here for a long time....

If you can find one, try an ETA 2000 movement. I found a couple of Omegas on the bay that work fine for the project. You will need to try and find the Rolex movement holder for the case. It fits the ETA, but needs a slight shim to align the stem.

As for the date disc, try and find a Rolex disc for the midsize. With the thinner 2000 movement, you can glue the genuine date disc to the ETA disc and it will work. You will need to swap out the hand fitting height in order for the hands to clear the dial. just make sure the date progression matches ETA. I don't know the caliber off the top of my head. maybe 2135? or 2035? I think the 2035 matches the date.

as for hands, you can use genuine rolex hands, or aftermarket hands. You will need a set for 2035 and a set for 2135. The hour/minute hand from 2035 will fit the ETA, and the second hand from 2135 will fit... or the other way around, I can't remember.

The reason you need a rolex movement holder is the dial is attached to the movement holder. It snaps on.

hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply stilty. We are just going to make this as simple as possible and avoid the DW problems. Going with a No date and an ETA 2671 with JMB maching a spacer for the movement. Will the Gen 2035 & 2135 hands fit on an ETA if so I will go that route.

Thanks

I've been looking at 2824 movement watches, there seem to be a lot of them that can be had on the bay for little money and a bunch of them are in a 31-32mm size just like the midsize datejust and the 2824 movement is right near the same measurements as the rolex movement in the gen midsize. Here is a cyma that is a 32mm case and looks almost just like a datejust. I wonder if this will fit in our case.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Old-Stock-CYMA-1862-ETA-2824-Boy-Size-Auto-Watch-/180595545047?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item2a0c5553d7#ht_5252wt_1139