When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help me decide between a used rep and a dealer rep (both same models)

ca12bon

Hey folks,

First of all, let me start off by saying this is a nice community, and I've learned a lot over the 2 days or so I've been in the rep scene

I've been looking for a nice rep, and finally decided on a Breitlying SteelFish.

The problem is I'm having trouble deciding between a trusted dealer rep, with the following specs:

-Breitling Super Ocean Steelfish Swiss ETA 2824 Movement AR Coating with White Dial

and a 2.5 year old rep that has been lumed, and is in great shape. No scratches, maybe 1 hairline scratch that cannot be seen by the naked human eye.

The price is $285USD for the trusted dealer rep with WW shipping included, and $300USD for the 2.5 year old one (modded), with WW shipping. Since i live in Asia, the "free shipping included" is a big bonus for me. Which would you guys choose?

Sorry, forgot about the movements, the used one is "ETA" not sure what that means, while the dealer one is written above.

help me plz!!

It sounds like there the same exact watch with same eta 2824 movement. The used one has been lumed,outside of that there the same. Personally i would get the new watch for $15.000 less. I feel a newer watch would be the safer bet over a watch thats 2 1/2 years old,you could always have your new watch lumed at a later date. This is just my opinion,good luck :victory:

My guess is that ETA means Asian clone if nothing else is specified.

Also I would be a bit sceptical about claims that a movement is Swiss. Have you received good pictures of it? Check up the dealer.

In principle I would have no problem buying an older watch if it has been looked after and serviced. If it has, you might get a better watch than an unserviced new one.

If not you may want to calculate that into the price. Check up the owner.

As to lume the rep is not bad for a rep. But if done properly (by whom??) the re-lumed will be better.

Lume and service will cost about the same. Depending on whom a very rough $100. If you need to service and lume the new one add a couple of hundered $$ in all.

Nice watch. Whats up with the crown though?

Thank you for the kind advice, everyone. I've been posting this question on different forums, and even though it's a good deal, I've decided to get a new one from Watcheden. With their $20 coupon, I was able to get a Steelfish with Swiss ETA 2824, for $265. I will be getting a lume job within the next couple of months (before I go to the US, since it's so much cheaper here), and will be getting it modded (Gen bezel goes for around $400 on ebay, and maybe a waterproof job).

Thanks again everyone :)