When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Explorer Project...Need thoughts!

marshal1085

Hey guys, bought one of the new 39mm Explorers. Have a couple mod ideas I'm going to do to it and wanted some feedback.

I'm going to get it relumed, but want to know what color blue the gen is. Is it the aqua blue or the true blue? I searched through the gen rolex forums and couldn't come up with a good pic. Can anyone link to one so I can send it with the watch so it is just right?!

Also, I asked a couple of the modders about making the dial matte as opposed to glossy. They quoted me a price, but I was curious if this will be successful or not? And what are the downsides?

Thanks, looking forward to finishing this and posting the pics!

If your AD won't let you view the new Explorer with the lights off, you could take a look at lume shots of the ceramic Sub and compare them with blue relumes done by modders. The gen lume looks sorta aqua to me.

I assume the modders who quoted you a price know how to properly mask the metal markers, or how to remove the matting after the dial has been sprayed.

But that only confirms the sub. Looks like I'll have to go into the ad sometime soon and see if I can get them to lower the lights for me.

Alternatively, ask if you could take it with you to the bathroom. "No? How about if you just close your eyes for a minute?" :whistling:

Rolex calls its blue lume "Chromalight" and the question is whether or not it's the same as blue Superluminova (C7? C9?). The question was raised by JJ in this TRF thread, but you will learn almost nothing by reading it! You might want to ask one of the lume sellers, like watchlume.

Alternatively, ask if you could take it with you to the bathroom. "No? How about if you just close your eyes for a minute?" :whistling:

Rolex calls its blue lume "Chromalight" and the question is whether or not it's the same as blue Superluminova (C7? C9?). The question was raised by JJ in this TRF thread, but you will learn almost nothing by reading it! You might want to ask one of the lume sellers, like watchlume.

'Maybe you guys have a test drive "try before you buy" program? I'll bring it right back...pinky promise.'

I sent a couple of emails out regarding the lume color...so I'll let you know what I hear. That forum is funny, LHOOQ, I've read about 20 threads about the new Explorer and they all go the exact same way and nothing gets accomplished:

1) someone asks a quality question

2) no one knows the answer and 'guesses'

3) it turns into a bashing war of the "I hate it, the hands are too small"