When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch Collection, Start from Style and Movement

Watcheden

To some extent, watch collection is really a good investment. However, what kinds of watches are worthy of collection? Personally, watch collection should start from style and movement.

First of all, the horological items that you are about to collect should be designer watches. It is the best if they belong to the world’s top 10 brands. The brands are important; however, it’s unnecessary for watch lovers to blindly pursue the so-called rankings. It’s much more significant to understand the true meaning behind the brand design.

As to some brands, they may only have a decade history, but their watches can be sold to thousands of dollars. The key reason for the high prices is because they are uniquely designed. Suppose a designer watch comes with unprecedented making materials and functionality, its selling price is likely to reach a million dollar.

Of course, different collectors hold different opinions towards collecting watches. Some pay attention to the style; while others have a bias on the movement. For example, the tourbillon watches or the timepieces with perpetual calendar are becoming more and more favorable for watch collectors. Seen from a longer term, watch collection is considerably beneficial. Some designer watches with decades of history should currently come with very high value. Therefore, we should start collecting watches from style and movement. However never blindly follow others. You should choose based on your own requirements.

The safety way is to choose the most classical watches of a particular brand because such kinds of watches have more possibility to increase the value. Take tourbillon watches for example; there are many brands creating this kind of watch. However, only Breguet is the first, also the most classical. Thus if you want to buy tourbillon watches, Breguet is the first selection.

For a newbie, he should keep a close eye on the latest information of the auction market. Besides, the beginners should also master a simple rule. That is too much supply yields to less value. Seen from this perspective, limited edition watches are nice options for collection. While due to too many limited editions, the boundary should be strictly defined. Only those watches with the limited production number of a few dozen or only a few come with good collection value.

Above are my personal opinions. Then what are yours?

Some interesting thoughts there WE, and it is good to see a trader taking part in discusion here on the board.

I would not say that collecting a designer watch is most inportant but that may well depend on your view or what a designer watch is, I think that most people go for Iconic brand names as opposed to a designer (Gerald Genta being an exeption with the Ingy, Patek Nautilus and the AP)

One of the most colected watches, the Vintage sub was still made in vast numbers and has an unrivalaled popularity and value today for those people with Gens these are as good as money in the bank.

Some interesting thoughts there WE, and it is good to see a trader taking part in discusion here on the board.

I would not say that collecting a designer watch is most inportant but that may well depend on your view or what a designer watch is, I think that most people go for Iconic brand names as opposed to a designer (Gerald Genta being an exeption with the Ingy, Patek Nautilus and the AP)

One of the most colected watches, the Vintage sub was still made in vast numbers and has an unrivalaled popularity and value today for those people with Gens these are as good as money in the bank.

:group: Exactly, vintage sub is really a good investment.

I have never bought as an investment per se but I do think about residual value on the more expensive watches I have bought if I needed to liquidate or if I sold later down the line but it isnt a major factor but more a consideration..

I think if I started considering my collection in that way or even just a few of them the reason I want them in the first place would diminish... ;)