When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Older model AP fans

nikki6

Hey guys, haven't been in here for a while, life is being life!

I'm thinking of parting with a few MBK/MBW AP pieces, they are pretty rare, from what I'm told, and I would like them to go to a good home with someone who appreciates what they are!!

I have an AP Millenary and a secs at 9 ROO (ok not small but, you know!) a AP Jumbo, again I know there are a few of these going around now, but it's still a stunner and an AP RO midsize.

Any interest in these just drop me a PM. Couple of quick and dirty pics below!

Thanks guys! Oh and Mods, if this is out of line please let me know and I'll remove it!

post-18919-0-84792900-1292687726.jpg

post-18919-0-04960400-1292687761.jpg

Sixx :bones:

Oh, sorry guys, it was sold to me as an MBW model! OK forget the ROO as it seems to be a ringer!

Thanks Sql & Bosk, yeah it does seem to be a very rare piece, made back when they actually gave a damn about what they made!!

Did you meddle with my 11 screw mr George?!? lol.

Thanks for the kind words my friend! It is the older dial, more of a cream finish than the silvery finish on the newer ones!

I'm going to take some more pics of that and the Millenary and see if anyone knows more about them.

And of course try and track down George and make him fix my screw!!! lol

The finish on these pieces is fantastic! Made at a time when the factories actually gave a damn about what they made instead of how many could they make!!

I have ultra sensitive touch, being blind does that to you, and can tell you for certain that I don't own any other reps as well made as these! I have some reps that are superbly made and finished, some of the new Breits and Tags for example, but these are a cut above! Real craftmanship went into these!!

I believe the RO is the same size as the cartel versions, just way better made!

Now that you mentioned that Nikki, I wonder - are there any fancy braille watches available or only simple designs to follow their function?

Do you have a real braille watch?

I do not think we ever discussed these at rwg.

I don't mate no, they drive me insane!! They are a pain in the arse to use, unless you get a 'digi' one, ie, one that has a braille display like a digital watch. No soul!!

I have a talking watch, but only really keep it by my bed so I know what time it is if I wake up through the night. Normally I use my phone, I have speech software on it that lets me control it, similer to the way I use JAWS on the computer.

I've just been so into watches since I can remember that it feels really unnatural to not have one on my wrist. I always get a feeling that something isn't quite right, slightly off balance feeling!

One of the bigger brands tried to do a watch for the blind, well not for us actually for pilots, but we stole em!! :D

I'm more than happy with my reps and the few gens I've collected over the years, until Breitling, Omega, Tag et al come out with something worthwhile for us blindies, I'm sticking with my babies!!

It is something that's commented on a lot though, not just in here, well not so much anymore since most people know, but in real life. People see my watch and say "I thought you said you were blind, why are you wearing a watch?!" Man that bugs me! If they would only show some manners and say something like "really, but you still wear a watch, is a sentimental thing?" Then I would be happy to get into a conversation about it. Ignorance in general annoys the hell out of me, but the ignorance some people show to disabled people is shocking! I'm also in a wheelchair (yeah, got all the lucky charms over here!! lol) you would be alarmed at the amount of people that bend down and raise their voice to speak to me, then proceed to talk to me like I was a child!! For those of you who have never seen me, I pretty much look like my avatar, I'm sure you can imagine the reponse they get!! lol.

Sorry for the ramble and rant, we miss out on a lot of things in this world, so being treated like a retard by a complete stranger can annoy sometimes!! ;)

Thank you for asking Sql, not many people ask, they just accuse!

This is turning into an interesting thread. Very rarely do we get to know the persons behind the avatar.

And now that you have opened up a little I do have a couple of questions, as I am one of the many who really are ignorant about your condition. Hopefully not too intrusive...:

Are you completely blind? In which case what are you going for when selecting watches?

You clearly have a deep interest in the topic and given the contribution you have here I would never have guessed that you were blind.

Specific to the MBW RO: How does the bracelet feel?

With the Cartel version iI find that it looks good, but it is sharp and not really comfortable. So definitely looks over substance.

Edited by mbjoer

I don't mind in the slightest my friend! The more people know the easier it is for them to understand I think! Any questions will be answered in full and probably rather self deprocating! :D

Yes I'm completely blind, also known as 100% blind or just plain can't see shit!! lol. I don't get any light, shade, nothing, just black.

I only lost my sight about 2 and a half years ago, so I still remember a lot of the watches that were coming out back then, a lot of those models are the one that are currently going through their 4th or 5th rep versions, so I still have a good picture in my mind of what they are like. I also have some amazing friends on here who take time out of their lives to help me out with descriptions of certain pieces I like the sound of, or if something new comes out that they think I will like they will link it for me so I can listen to the text and they give me a description of th piece. My father is also big into watches and is also a member on here, he's a massive help and support to me also!

As to th bracelet, I've never felt a 'cartel' bracelet for comparison, but the MBW one feels nice and smooth. I tend to clean and oil my bracelets and try round out the edges a bit, a lot of the newer reps coming out have really well made bracelets, but the finish on them isn't great, so I think I know what you mean by the sharp edges and sometimes uncomfy on the wrists. This certainly doesn't have that, I don't think it's through wear either because the watch is in mint condition, just that care and pride in what they made back in the day!

Thanks for your remarks about the MBW bracelet. These are things that cannot be caught on a picture.

And also thanks for telling me more about your situation. I now read your postings with much more interest. I can truly say that I am inpressed by your knowledge and ability to convey it to the other members. I can see, but do not have a fraction of your knowledge which clearly is right up to date.

Well done!!

Thank you very much sir!! I have tried to carry on my life as normally as possible, but obviously there are limits! Thankfully, beacause of this Forum mainly, wearing or buying a watch isn't one of them!!

I'm still working on getting better pics of the Millinary and the RO for you guys but there is no one around right now to help, but they shall be up soon hopefully!

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

Sorry this has taken so long to get done and also sorry for the quality of the pics. My hand is still a bit shaky from being in hospital, so this is the best I can do for now. They aren't super macro shots or any of the cool pics most guys put up, but I tried my best.

Again, just trying to get a bit more info on these, especially the Millenary as I've never known another one on the boards! Hope you enjoy!

post-18919-0-94687300-1297899969.jpg

post-18919-0-94469600-1297899978.jpg

post-18919-0-35010400-1297899987.jpg

post-18919-0-58779700-1297899998.jpg

post-18919-0-48053000-1297900019.jpg

post-18919-0-47655900-1297901532.jpg

post-18919-0-58087800-1297900727.jpg

post-18919-0-40805100-1297900764.jpg

post-18919-0-14396300-1297900778.jpg

post-18919-0-58873500-1297900799.jpg

post-18919-0-99253800-1297900965.jpg

post-18919-0-62448100-1297900984.jpg