When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

converting sec@9 to sec@12

kesha

Can you not swap the dial and movement into your MBW case from the secs@12 model? I'm not sure if there is a difference in height between the cases though?!

Siesta is your man for this kind of question, the man is an absolute genius with AP ROO's!!

Sixx :bones:

Thanks Nikki. I dont know if a swap is possible, because just like you mentioned there is a difference in case height. Also, I'm not a huge fan of the sec@12 dials anyway (they look a bit cheap.. especially after seeing the sec@9 dial).

I'm thinking of possibly making my sec@9 into a franken by buying a gen dial and ETA movement. I'm just not sure what kind of movement would be necessary to make this work.

Does Siesta build AP frankens? Anyone know a watchmaker preferably in the CONUS that could do this? I tried PMing sanders but it appears he isn't taking on any more projects.

Edited by kesha

Apologies Kesha, it was Sanders that I meant to type, but had just been on a thread that Siesta had written in and had his name in my head!!

Sanders might be able to give you some pointers, he's a great guy. Or you could try speaking to Domi or Francisco, both are superb watch makers/menders/masters/whatever they are called!

Mickey up there has a lot of work done by Domi in his collection, I'm sure he would say exactly the same!

Sixx :bones:

MBW case is for sure NOT more accurate.

Glued on bezel, fake nuts in bezel, too round here and there and less attention to details.

The construction may not be accurate, but side by side, the MBW definitely looks more like the part IMO. I have both the sec@9 and sec@12 and have compared them to a buddy's gen. The sec@9 has more accurate dimensions, better engraving, better polished edges and more accurate looking bezel screws. But I guess it's all a matter of opinion on which is "better" since they are still both just reps.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm late to the party :(

According to Sander:

-The pushers won't work with the movement and need to be modded.

-The crown can be lowered (it's not a must) but the pushers still needs modification.

-A complete new inner case needs to be made.

-If you do not have the gen hands, you need to broach the chrono hands and make new hand tubes for the hour and minute hand.

-the rep hands sizes are 1.20mm for the minute and 2.0mm for the hour hand. The movement needs 0,9 for the minute and 1.20 for the hour hand.)

-99% of the time the date window needs to be painted matte black or matte silver because the movements normally come with a polished window.

From this thread:

Edited by ianGP