When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Removing crystal from Tag Heuer SLR

bluemax

I am trying to get the crystal removed from my Tag Heuer SLR (like the one in the pic below), but I am got a bit strange info from the watchmaker: he claims that this crystal cannot be simply popped out by a press, but that he would have to first heat up the case to "loosen the glue holding the crystal". I am reluctant to allow him to play around with the watch; does what he said to me makes any sense?

Did anyone successfully remove the crystal from this watch, and how? Do the bezel and the rehaut go out together with the crystal, or have to be removed before the crystal?

Thanks

post-6186-0-33690100-1293006647.jpg

All mineral glass crystals and sapphire ones are pressed in with a compression ring. Some older watches have them glued in, but not modern watches.

On some models the crystal is inside and below the bezel, and you have to remove the bezel before you can remove the crystal, many AP's are like this.

On any Tag I have worked on, the crystal presses out the normal way.

Anyone telling you that you need to heat up the case to remove the crystal, is wacked, wonder if he was going to use a torch and I wonder how well the bezel would survive the treatment, or the rest of the non metal parts of the case...