When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

3 Star - "Out of the Box" Reps

Wilkssd

Hello everyone. Over the past month, I've been doing a lot of due diligence on this site. CLEARLY, you guys know your stuff. I really had no idea what I was getting myself into ... Hahaha

Anyway, I'm focusing on compiling a list for "OUT OF THE BOX" reps with the quality close to "super-rep" or "3 star." Then, I would like to put together something for the best dealers, for those respective watches.

Here is my current list:

Tag Heuer - Carrera

Omega Men's - Speedmaster Date

Chopard - Mille Miglia GTXXL or GMT

Raymond Weil - Nabucco Chrono

Rolex - GMT Master II

IWC - Pilot Chrono or Top Gun Pilot Chrono

Please CONFIRM that these are top notch rep models. If anyone believes any of these should not be considered a 3 star, please let me know. Congruently, if I'm leaving any 3 star "out of the box" reps out, feel free to add them. If you know a great dealer at a fair price, I'm all ears.

Edited by Wilkssd

Just to clarify a few things:

- I fully recognize that no rep is perfect. "3 star" may be relative in some respects, but I'd hope that it's pretty clear what I mean. The gentlemen that know their stuff on here also know what the most solid reps are on the market.

- I'm totally open to buying someone's modified (mods) product. It just seems that you really need to be active on this forum and very patient, in order to find what you're looking for. I'm definitely considering picking this up as a hobby, but I don't see myself being able to do that right now. And, I want to build my collection fast! But, I want to do it right too.

Thanks again. I REALLY appreciate your expertise.

Edited by Wilkssd

Welcome to RWG! There's a lot of threads in here about great out-of-the-box reps. Search around and you will find the inspiration you are looking for. However I would advice you not to stress your collection if you are picky about flaws - you see there are often many versions from different factories of the same watches out there.. And most with its own pros and cons..

Every now and then, someone raises the bar, and the so called super reps don't seem that accurate anymore.

Now, obviously no rep would ever pass an expert extreme close up check, but there are some that at real life situations would fool anyone at any case, and there aren't a lot of them around. AFAIK those answer that demand:

New PAM 288

Ebel 1911 discovery

Swiss fish (impossible to find nowadays)

Omega Aqua Terra

There are probably more. Those jump to my mind at the moment.

Thanks for the response guys. I just really wanted to make sure the ones I have there are, in fact, 3 star in most cases.

I just bought:

1 - The Omega - Ultimate Planet Ocean 42mm eta (from Joshua at Perfect Clones)

AND

2 - The Tag - Carrera Chrono (white face) (from Andrew at Trusty Time)

From what I've read, both of those models are notoriously 3 star out of box reps. Especially from those dealers. However, I'm a little concerned about the "color" of the Tag, as I haven't seen much written about the authenticity of it's shade. Anyone know?

NEXT TO ORDER:

Rolex GMT

Pam 236 or 288

Chopard - Mille Miglia GT XL

IWC - Pilot Chrono or Top Gun Pilot Chrono are soon to come

(I really want that IWC Prortuguese, but that looks like a disaster situation)

HOPEFULLY, those are all typically 3 star out of the box as well. Anyone disagree???

Thanks again!

If the new 42mm UPO is as good as the 45mm one then you have a really nice time piece on the way.. ;)

The PAM 288 looks very good and has gotten much appraisal on here, so that should be a safe bet as well. And one of my favourites is the IWC Pilot Chrono (3717), which is pretty accurate apart for a couple of things (like dial lume markers, DDW's, AR..) but that can be modded along the way.

As for the others on your list, I leave it up to the experts to chime in on! :whistling:

Don't forget new Pams 177 and 111!

+1

As much as I like it, I probably wouldn't include the Rolex GMT IIC as a 3 star. The primary reasons are the lack of AR below the cyclops while not very noticable is apparent at certain angles. Bigger flaw however is the incorrect hand stack of the 2836-2 movement. the hands are not in the same stack sequence on the rep. this one is a dead giveway to anyone who has /had or knows about the GMTII's. Unfortunately, this is and uncorrectable flaw that cannot be modded.

I would put the Rolex 16610 WM9/BK above the GMT IIC as a 3 star contender.Very minimal modding will get this one into the 99%+ catagory.