When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Seagull 1963 Air Force Reissue

ongck77

Hello guys, just wanna share with you all the gen I receieved for X'mas ;)

As the name suggests, the design is paying homage for the first Chinese chronograph produced in 60s for the People's Liberation Army Air Force.

In 1961 the Ministry for Light Industry received the order to develop a new 'aviator's watch' for the People's Liberation Army Air Force. This was designated Project 304. Around this time a seconds-only chronograph version of the ST-2A was prototyped, but it did not enter production. The Venus Watch Company, Switzerland, were wanting to offload the calibre 175 chronograph tooling to raise capital for development of their calibre 188. The USSR were not interested, but the Chinese were. The 175 was purchased for Project 304. By October 1965, the third test batch were completed and submitted to the Ministry and Air Force for approval, which was passed in December. By May the following year, 1400 chronograph watches had been delivered to pilots of the PLAAF.

source: http://www.tractionink.com/watch_wiki/index.php?title=Tianjin_Seagull

The dial is measuring 38mm (including crown), dial reads "19 jewels, China, Tianjin Watch Factory"

DSC_6902.jpg

Red star with raised gold index

DSC_6901.jpg

Signed crown, this is the only Seagull logo on the entire watch

DSC_6896.jpg

Special request dislplay caseback. Decorated ST-19 manual wind non-hacking chrono movement, based on Venus 175. (which used in rep Speedy as well)

DSC_6899.jpg

Wrist shot

DSC_6906.jpg

Wow, that really is a beauty, especially with the display back :good: The NATO looks good, but my personal recommendation would be for a very simple dark brown leather strap, as I think that would better complement what appears to be a very slim and elegant watch :good::drinks:

Thanks for the compliment guys :lol:

wow, thats a really nice gen...where would someone buy something like that? Ebay?

You may order direct from Thomas (lhczthomas@gmail.com) from Seagull HK, very helpful.

More details here, http://forums.watchuseek.com/f72/seagull-1963-reissue-available-seagull-hk-directly-420653.html

Alternatively, an EU based http://www.watchunique.com/1963-air-force.html

Wow, that really is a beauty, especially with the display back :good: The NATO looks good, but my personal recommendation would be for a very simple dark brown leather strap, as I think that would better complement what appears to be a very slim and elegant watch :good::drinks:

Great taste. Actually I'm looking for one 18mm brown vintage leather strap ;)

Great taste. Actually I'm looking for one 18mm brown vintage leather strap ;)

Best of luck with your search, I'm sure you'll find the right strap for it :victory: As silly as it might sound, some of the cheaper straps might actually be a better complement for the watch than some of the more expensive ones, which can start getting chunky, which I feel would over-power the watch. This is definitely one of those 'less is more' situations :victory:

Hello guys, just wanna share with you all the gen I receieved for X'mas ;)

As the name suggests, the design is paying homage for the first Chinese chronograph produced in 60s for the People's Liberation Army Air Force.

Wonderful purchase, congratulations. I got the exact same watch just in time for X'mas as well. The signed crown and sapphire crystal are a nice upgrade over the older iterations of this model.