When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hublot V5 vs V1

anics

Hi all,

So as some of you may know Josh has released the long awaited Ice Bang 2 (on a limited run) with a gen tungsten bezel.

http://www.1-pc8838.com/hbsp00068-bang-certungru-7750-28800bph-p-9603.html

This is pretty exciting for most Hublot fans and we'll have to see how it handles in the flesh. I would order one now but I have to go to Miami for a few weeks so I'll have to wait until I get back :(

From the pics it looks very good. The date wheel font seems to have been addressed as does the rotor. The case back looks okay and I am told that the font is indeed grey and not white (i assume it's the flash and or lighting that makes it look white). The crystal looks slightly raised as per the gen as well, so it does look like it's gearing up to be a winner!

The rotor engraving looks a little thick as does the "H" but hey, not bad...

Anyone snooping around the site will also see that the V1's are back and are on sale! Mega sale actually (considering what I shelled out for my one)... It is worth noting though that these seem to be the standard V1's with no changes, so the old flaws are still there and you will still need to obtain a new date wheel and TX crystal as well as silver clasp screws and if you really want to, a new case back (although the Ice Bang 1 was released with a black / ceramic case back believe it or not)...

The V1 is stated as being "completely interchangeable" with the gen, and I have to say that my V1 accepts a number of oem parts, so I'd have to say that this is true. The V5 is sold as having taken a year to produce using a gen Ice bang 2 as a template. If that is the case then the V5 should, like the V1 be interchangeable with the gen, even more so one could argue as they had the gen to hand!

In which case, logic would dictate that the V1 and V5 parts would be interchangeable (if both statements are true)? In which case the new tungsten bezel should fit nicely onto my V1 (Joy)...

Erm, no. Apparently not... I asked Josh if he would be selling the bezels as stand alone items and he said no (boooooo) and that they wouldn't fit anyway as they are made by a different producer (?). That's fair enough but if the manufacturing process of the V5 is as stated than it should fit the V1, as the V1 accepts gen parts? If anything the V5 should be identical to the gen, as they had the gen sitting on the bench?

Oh well, never mind. Maybe Josh will change his mind once the initial run are sold and the orders come in. I think the demand for the tungsten bezel will be high. I'd probably take 2 at least!

Like I said, I am tempted to order the V5 Ice Bang 2 anyway when I get back. If so than I will do a V1 vs V5 review. The only thing stopping me is that I actually prefer the original Ice Bang with the numerical dial?

With the demand for the V5 high someone will probably get one before I get back anyway, if they do I hope they post some pics so we can draw our own conclusions.

In the meantime let's hope that the tungsten bezels become available as spare parts and that they fit our V1's (which they should do)...

I have also picked up a rumour on another board that there may still be new hublot rep developments afoot? No idea what? Let's wait and see... intriguing....

A

Thanks for the update. There are so many BB versions now and upgrades available it is mind boggling. I assume the gen Ice Bang uses tungsten on the bezel and indices? Is that the case on the caseback as well or is that supposed to be titanium?

Can't wait to see this one on someone's wrist. It will be interesting to see whether gen parts actually fit. There is definitely a continuing trend toward making the initial rep more accurate but sacrificing gen part interchangeability. This may be another example. Of course their mission is to make it as accurate as possible rather than ensuring that gen parts actually fit. It never ceases to amaze me how the dealers and manufacturers have been upping their game over the last 8-12 months.

Thanks for the update. There are so many BB versions now and upgrades available it is mind boggling. I assume the gen Ice Bang uses tungsten on the bezel and indices? Is that the case on the caseback as well or is that supposed to be titanium?

Can't wait to see this one on someone's wrist. It will be interesting to see whether gen parts actually fit. There is definitely a continuing trend toward making the initial rep more accurate but sacrificing gen part interchangeability. This may be another example. Of course their mission is to make it as accurate as possible rather than ensuring that gen parts actually fit. It never ceases to amaze me how the dealers and manufacturers have been upping their game over the last 8-12 months.

Yes, both the ice bang and the ice bang evolution use tungsten on their bezels now. The case back on the Ice bang evolution is also in tungsten. The rep that Josh is offering looks very good, but for comparison here are some gen pics to help you guys make your minds up...

Ice Band Evolution (gen)

post-18710-0-74500300-1293472408.jpeg

post-18710-0-04014300-1293472435.jpeg

post-18710-0-43997100-1293472453.jpeg

post-18710-0-59146100-1293472476.jpeg

enjoy!

A

Going back to the 'new' tungsten bezels for a moment (and with reference to the V1's)

A few months ago I scratched my V1 "darkened steel" bezel and they are not available from any factory as a stand alone item, so I shopped around for ages for a replacement. Eventually I settled (on the advice of another member) on the new titanium bezel. I was worried at first because the old titanium bezels were a nightmare but the new ones are brilliant!

Obviously I have been trying to get my hands on a tungsten one but Josh won't, or more so, probably can't sell them separately, which is fair enough.

For reference however I have been looking at the titanium bezels vs the gens on line and here are some comparison shots for you...

(To those of you launching into a V1 ice bang I would implore you to get a spare new titanium bezel as your dark steel one will, one day, scratch rather badly. The good news however is that you can sand it down and then you have a steel bezel with teeth that you can slap on a steel Big bang! Win:win)

Okay, pics...

(Ice bang V1. Originally from Chris at Eurotimez, mods = TX crystal, steel clasp screws, new titanium bezel, on a Veyron strap (waiting for date wheel change and rotor mods in the new year - Franciso's a busy man)

Ice bang (gen) tungsten bezel

post-18710-0-54142600-1293474857.jpg

post-18710-0-59053400-1293474887.jpg

V1 with Titanium bezel

post-18710-0-33542400-1293475001.jpg

post-18710-0-96139400-1293475024.jpg

And... Ice bang (gen) with ceramic caseback...

post-18710-0-49813700-1293475079.jpg

V1 case back (un modded)

post-18710-0-70332100-1293475122.jpg

IMHO, the titanium bezel is pretty close and much harder wearing than the darkened steel... maybe it's not so bad that we can't get the tungsten bezels after all, and at the V1 prices now (i paid $700) it may be the better option to go the V1 route and mod?

Cheers

A

Very useful information, I have read mixed comments about the ice bang bezels but the darkened steel version was reviewed quite well while the Ti wasn't much to be found about. The cheaper V1's probably have the same titanium bezel you're reviewing so that kind of pushes me over the edge getting the v1 ice:) I've asked jos as well about the tungsten and he made it very clear that different manufactured bezels won't be interchangable bah, still I hope someone can do the first experiments very soon or maybe if current V5+V1 owners can try it with theirs. My last question would be if anyone have found a dealer that can provide the cheap V1's with V2 rotors?

Very useful information, I have read mixed comments about the ice bang bezels but the darkened steel version was reviewed quite well while the Ti wasn't much to be found about. The cheaper V1's probably have the same titanium bezel you're reviewing so that kind of pushes me over the edge getting the v1 ice:) I've asked jos as well about the tungsten and he made it very clear that different manufactured bezels won't be interchangable bah, still I hope someone can do the first experiments very soon or maybe if current V5+V1 owners can try it with theirs. My last question would be if anyone have found a dealer that can provide the cheap V1's with V2 rotors?

That would be a good idea? Maybe Josh could supply one? I know he can supply steel case backs...

A

• 2 weeks later...