When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Radiomir Fixed Lug Strap Change: Your Solutions?

ryyannon

Thanks, I think I understand. The version I got was from Joshua, so it seems to be different. Still, I'm with you on this whole ride. For about 200-250 and a few minor mods, this could be a nice way to satisfy the need for a WM vintage. Now for the clear caseback. I've tried about everything on this and nothing has fit so far.

Chris,

What you've done with the Base should work perfectly with a 26mm strap - I'm sure you can even get away with using a 24mm as you've done, without running to much danger of it slipping off.

I'd say you were home free on this particular project!

Triple Cowbell to celebrate!

128969-19758.gif

128969-19758.gif

128969-19758.gif

With that movement and all the attention to detail, that's totally in another league compared to my mass-produced 2533.

On the other hand, and at this point in my interest in the hobby, I'd be incapable of investing the time, money and skill necessary to producing a one-of-a-kind beauty as yours....

While we're on the subject of unique, handcrafted vintage Paneraii, take a look at what adeeos has put together over on TRC:

http://www.replicacollector.com/members/in...showtopic=26287

Looking better and better, Chris.

Your pioneering work will surely serve as an inspiration for those unhapy with the fixed lug problem and not desirous of wearing a riveted strap.

As for it coming loose, I don't see why it should - unless you're doing something like banging on a cowbell for eight hours a day.....

But you still need the definitive stap, my boy :-)

They are called "open ended watch straps." Do a google search for "open ended watch strap" or band and you will get a bunch of hits. I have seen them before, they often have 2 metal "tangs" which you bend down, and voila!

That said, all of the ones I've seen are ugly :(

135736-18217.jpg

IMHO, do what they did on the gen Panerai 3646, sew it on. Here's 2 pics from Antiquorum:

135736-18218.jpghttp://images.antiquorum.com/131/medium/122.jpg

Buy a nice strap, take it to your shoe maker, show him your watch, and have him help you. You can also ask him to make you a strap.

I happen to be a medical school student and very good with a scalpel (I was even asked to be a dissection assistant last semester), so I'd be more than happy to take a watch strap apart for you! lol

I think as long as you find a strap made of nice, thick leather, I don’t think it would be too bad to remove a few of the stitches at the top of the strap (where the spring bars normally go through) and then re-sew it.