When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 177L caseback/case thread problem

hackR

love my new 177L...

but - noticed one of the blue movement screws was almost completely out of the movement...so i opened up the caseback to screw it back down...i always start with my sticky ball and then move to caseback openers...well - the sticky ball wouldn't do it...which surprised me...i was able to get it off with one of my caseback tools (unfortunately i do not have a panerai caseback tool - just the claw type)...but it sure took a lot of torque and you could feel it was tight...

sooooo...since the threads are slightly out of whack, tightening it is a bear...is there a simple'ish fix to screwing it back down...the titanium is hard, so i don't think a lot of torque is going to do it...and right now, i seem to always get it started askew...re-threading is out...is there a graphite or other lubricate that might help the threads?...something that obviously wouldn't hurt the movement?...

thanks...R

love my new 177L...

but - noticed one of the blue movement screws was almost completely out of the movement...so i opened up the caseback to screw it back down...i always start with my sticky ball and then move to caseback openers...well - the sticky ball wouldn't do it...which surprised me...i was able to get it off with one of my caseback tools (unfortunately i do not have a panerai caseback tool - just the claw type)...but it sure took a lot of torque and you could feel it was tight...

sooooo...since the threads are slightly out of whack, tightening it is a bear...is there a simple'ish fix to screwing it back down...the titanium is hard, so i don't think a lot of torque is going to do it...and right now, i seem to always get it started askew...re-threading is out...is there a graphite or other lubricate that might help the threads?...something that obviously wouldn't hurt the movement?...

thanks...R

Hi R

My 177L caseback was almost impossible to take of but tried a litte ( just a little on a needle) anti-rustoil and I managed to get it unscrewed :thumbsupsmileyanim:

But when I had adust the movement ( +4 sec/24H !) which I did a lot of times as I do not have timing machine, so because of that I had to open and close the caseback several times and now it is quite easy to open/close the caseback :whistling:

But I think that silicon grease can help on the threads be caseful not to use oil as it can get i to the movement :wounded1:

Ok, first of all, we are friends and I manufacture one of the best caseback tools available.... :black_eye:

Secondly, some silicon as in lube silicon may help...similar metals will gaul when high friction is in play....

@JC --> you we're on my pm list for 2nite...i shot this out quickly because the issue isn't so much the tool, but rather the friction/tension/whatever that is in play between the caseback and the case...i don't want to screw up the piece and thought a lube of some sorts would assist the process...most of my 6497s screw on/off with the sticky ball i got from Narikaa on one of my first purchases...

@others --> thanks!...

the titanium is tough and i don't want to mess up the threads anymore than they are...what i don't know is whether the caseback was just screwed on cockeyed from the start...was tough to open but it came off...i'm thinking it wasn't seated right in the first place...argh...

@JC --> you we're on my pm list for 2nite...i shot this out quickly because the issue isn't so much the tool, but rather the friction/tension/whatever that is in play between the caseback and the case...i don't want to screw up the piece and thought a lube of some sorts would assist the process...most of my 6497s screw on/off with the sticky ball i got from Narikaa on one of my first purchases...

@others --> thanks!...

the titanium is tough and i don't want to mess up the threads anymore than they are...what i don't know is whether the caseback was just screwed on cockeyed from the start...was tough to open but it came off...i'm thinking it wasn't seated right in the first place...argh...

Yep, giving you a slightly hard time....I think some type of Silicone/silicon will help if its not gauled already...All my ti cases were tough by the way...so much so, I thought they were misaligned as well...

Yep, giving you a slightly hard time....

@JC --> i deserve it...this is exactly the reason to always have the right tool and materials on hand...pm sent... :drinks:

@Others --> curious...is your caseback seated right on your 177L?...no need to unscrew it...just check the lip of the caseback on the case...after repeated attempt to align it manually, mine seems to always screw on misaligned...wondering if others have experienced this or see a mislignment...

R-

Ti casebacks are difficult to get on due to Ti against Ti just does not like to play nice. Ti is not really hard, it is easier to gull up the threads then SS. I find it best to run some Rodico over the threads on both the caseback and case. Place the caseback onto the case and I will grab the the caseback wtih my finger nails across the flats and lightly turn it against the case...less pressure is your friend here. Once the threads grab just a little you will be set....unless your threads are FUBAR, then they will need to be cleaned up with a stone or file.

Good luck buddy...give me a call if you need help. :drinks: