When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Thinking about a GMT

omgiv

Hi Guys,

I have always been in love with the Pepsi GMT Master. I bought a ceramic GMT Master last year but I have never been that crazy about it. It is a little too flashy for me to be a tool watch, so I brushed the mid-links on the bracelet. Even after that, there is just too much about it that bothers me. I thought about saving up and buying a gen 16710, but building them is so much more rewarding and fun (most of the time :)) BK's transformer immediately jumped into my mind as it would be a great starting place, but they are getting hard to find. The next one that interested me would be a 1675. I don't really know much about these watches but have been doing a lot of reading in recent days. I have also seen some great builds of these watches recently. I would probably like to keep this one on the lower side of the build cost scale if possible also. Here is what I was thinking of doing:

Case: Josh's 1655 Case

Bezel and Retaining Ring: Wholesale Outlet

Insert: Gen

Dial: Gen or Rep (any ideas of a good rep?)

Hands: Clark Tudor (GMT???)

Crown and Tube: Gen

Crystal: Clarks 25-116

Bracelet: ???

Movement: Converted 2846

DW Overlay: ???

I know that the case will require some modifications, but is there anything that can be done about the caseback? The pictures on Josh's site show a domed caseback and the pictures I have seen of the 1675 show a stepped caseback. Is there a more accurate caseback that can be used? I also don't know about using a gen dial. I have never snipped the dial feet off one and am not sure how it would be secured to the movement. I also don't know how well an overlay will work with a gen dial. I have read that Clark's Tudor hands for an ETA movement will work but don't know what to do for the GMT hand. As you can see, there are a lot of questions that need to be answered. I am just trying to get an idea of how things should proceed. If there is any advice you could give or if there is a thread I missed discussing some of this (I did search a good bit), that would be great. I am also in no real hurry since I have a 16520 currently in the process of building and an Omega SM300 after that. Thank you in advance for any help!!!!!

Hi Guys,

I have always been in love with the Pepsi GMT Master.  I bought a ceramic GMT Master last year but I have never been that crazy about it.  It is a little too flashy for me to be a tool watch, so I brushed the mid-links on the bracelet.  Even after that, there is just too much about it that bothers me.  I thought about saving up and buying a gen 16710, but building them is so much more rewarding and fun (most of the time :))  BK's transformer immediately jumped into my mind as it would be a great starting place, but they are getting hard to find.  The next one that interested me would be a 1675.  I don't really know much about these watches but have been doing a lot of reading in recent days.  I have also seen some great builds of these watches recently.  I would probably like to keep this one on the lower side of the build cost scale if possible also.  Here is what I was thinking of doing:

Case:  Josh's 1655 Case

Bezel and Retaining Ring: Wholesale Outlet

Insert: Gen

Dial: Gen or Rep (any ideas of a good rep?)

Hands: Clark Tudor  (GMT???)

Crown and Tube: Gen

Crystal: Clarks 25-116

Bracelet: ???

Movement: Converted 2846

DW Overlay: ???

I know that the case will require some modifications, but is there anything that can be done about the caseback?  The pictures on Josh's site show a domed caseback and the pictures I have seen of the 1675 show a stepped caseback.  Is there a more accurate caseback that can be used?  I also don't know about using a gen dial.  I have never snipped the dial feet off one and am not sure how it would be secured to the movement.  I also don't know how well an overlay will work with a gen dial.  I have read that Clark's Tudor hands for an ETA movement will work but don't know what to do for the GMT hand.  As you can see, there are a lot of questions that need to be answered.  I am just trying to get an idea of how things should proceed.  If there is any advice you could give or if there is a thread I missed discussing some of this (I did search a good bit), that would be great.   I am also in no real hurry since I have a 16520 currently in the process of building and an Omega SM300 after that.  Thank you in advance for any help!!!!!

There are no dial feet on the genuine dial. It will take some modding to get it to fit, but can be done. Dial dots to secure it. I used a water-slide decal on my genuine dial that I had really trashed, and saved it. The Tudor hands will fit ETA28xx movements as that was what was genuine in Tudors. The GMT hand will depend on what size you wind up with on your converted 2846. The Genuine hand, and also, fits a 1.8mm, and Clark's has them.  Other sizes would need to be made or sourced through China. The nice thing about thing about the early 1675 and 6542, is that the ETA movement is the correct hand stack.