When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dilemma

cmb5286

Ok so I am in the last leg of gathering parts for my 201/a build. I've already picked up an FGD dial and hands, movement from Ofrei, EL crystal, Toro CG, and a Jakob CB. I know that T will have some T48 crowns available in a couple weeks. So that just leaves me with the case. I've been scouring RWG, RG, and W-C for the past three months and have seen a couple decent cases come up, but I never PM'd the sellers in time. I know that watchmesiter and kimerathon have been working on a 1:1 pre-v case for some time now. I know that I should be patient. Until that happens though, would I be better off getting a cartel 111 or 112 for the case and part out the rest? I've heard the lug shape and dimple are a little better than a DSN. Or if anyone has a decent case, maybe even a JF or EL, that wants to sell, let me know.

Thanks again.

CB

D suggested the new 111J was suitable with slight modification for a PreV project.

However a JF would not be... The EL cases vary remember he sourced many cases so just saying its an EL doesnt mean it will work for your project

An old Helenerou case and Jackson bezel was pretty close and some of DSNs older cases. In fact DSN misuses some of his cases and you can find some good PreV cases in his contemporay models.

I think Warren has passed the case project over to Tx now, try contacting him for an update and in the mean time maybe go with the 111 as a stop gap, its the cheapest option currently or study all PAMs that come up for sale you might be surprised by what people are selling, in terms of the case, without realising its potential.. ;)

Appreciate the info Pete. I think I'll just get a cartel 111j and sell everything but the case. I was thinking Josh or Tony. Any objections?

Sounds like the better option mate.

Tony of course is cheaper ;)

I am sure the experts will chime in but as I recall at the time there were 2 possible 3 places making cases for OP but they all worked to the same dimensions so if there are differences I can only imagine they are consistency differences rather than manufacturing differences.

I have not heard myself of differences comparable to that of say PreV to PreA or AC-CG etc etc Of course case series were easier to monitor once they brought in the BB, PB etc on the matriculation though 6500 or 6502 cases (with and without A prefix) did the same job in terms of identifying case series.