When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AP ROO sec@9

Dosster

Hello everyone,

I want to purchase an AP ROO sec @ 9. I have been reading and searching all the forums but, still have a couple questions.

1. Are all AP ROO sec @ 9 made by MBW?

2. If not, how do you tell which are?

3. If so, Which would be the best dealer to purchase one from?

I'm interested in AP ROO Black sec@9

Thanks

1. No, the regular dealers offer the seconds at 9 they get from their factories, these are the seconds @12 cases & dial. MBW produces their own watches, or have their own source. Casing is different.

2. MBW APROO is the winner when we're talking about quality/finish of the dial/case/bracelet. So at 9 is aesthetically more accurate than seconds at 12 in terms of dimensions and case finishing but of course not the same construction as gen. And the movement functionality is wrong, which is the biggest tell. You can see differences in the dial, datewheel, case, caseback, bracelet, ...

3. If you want an MBW you can contact Narikaa or Paul (Rolexfinder). To buy the sec. @ 12 case/dial with sec @ 9 movt. you can buy them from the trusted dealers.

Now, why exactly do you want seconds @ 9 and not the sec @ 12?

Hope this helps you

Edited by edgematic1

2. MBW APROO is the winner when we're talking about quality/finish of the dial/case/bracelet. So at 9 is aesthetically more accurate than seconds at 12 in terms of dimensions and case finishing but of course not the same construction as gen. And the movement functionality is wrong, which is the biggest tell. You can see differences in the dial, datewheel, case, caseback, bracelet, ...

Sorry my friend, I have to disagree. Dials are waaaaay better in sec@12 models. Way better.

MBW white themes:

img1105hq.jpg

Sec@12 white themes:

A5.jpg

Gen:

P1010058.jpg

Case is also better in sec@12 reps. Gen-like sandwich construction and nicer finish. MBWs are too round, which was good for initial gen ROOs but not for later ones.

When you add the fact that MBWs have seconds at 9 and 12o'clock subdial is not offset it makes no sense to look for one.

hereby I quote kruzer00 (watchmeister?) his post on RG:

"It is a well known fact that the seconds at 9 cases are far more accurate as to bezel form and height, thickness of rubber gasket under the bezel, proper thinner caseback and shape of cg's. But it also has inaccurate construction and wrong functionality as you say. Pick your poison."

I have an MBW Safari and a Sec@12 Black Themes.

The main and really obvious fault on the MBW is that the running seconds is in a subdial designed for the chrono function. You do not need any AP knowledge to find that tell.

However on a few aspects the MBW scores rather well.

First is the glare from the crystal. On the sec@12 it is so bad that you really need AR treatment. That is not the case on the MBW.

The bracelet feels nicer on the MBW. Slightly more rounded and comfortable.

And the movement works better. To set the sec@12 is very fiddely as the crown is terribly stiff. And there has been a lot of write up about the need for a graphite treatment or as a minimum a service for the sec@12.

If you add in service and AR, the sec@12 becomes a much more expensive option than the MBW. However, although I use my MBW, I am not so sure I would recommend a watch with such an obvious tell as this one.

A couple of pictures to illustrate (The RO is a cartel version):

006.jpg

019.jpg

008.jpg

Note that the lume on the Black Themes is the result of a less than impressive re-lume I had done. A re-lume is worth it - but only when done correctly...

011.jpg

hereby I quote kruzer00 (watchmeister?) his post on RG:

"It is a well known fact that the seconds at 9 cases are far more accurate as to bezel form and height, thickness of rubber gasket under the bezel, proper thinner caseback and shape of cg's. But it also has inaccurate construction and wrong functionality as you say. Pick your poison."

Bezel height - possibly, thicker caseback - sure, but CG shape is better in sec@12 reps. Like I said, MBW cases are way too rounded in many areas.

Crown is much better in sec@12 ones. Pushers are too long in MBW.

Just look at these pics and judge for yourself, which one looks more gen:

ro2gh5.jpg

off1.jpg