When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Finally 1680 serviced eta 2846 movement returns - Help me make some important re-assembly decisions - Please!

Mapman57

Had it under the loupe and cant see any cracks?

There are some marks form the retainer ring going on and off; and some tiny white debris particles on the inside of the crystal at the top of the rehaut. It has scraped on the way down for sure. But from the outside looking at the crystal there are no stress lines, or cracks.

Pressure tested again to 7ATM and can't see any leaks ....but we will find out sooner or later?

I'll keep it dry for a little while and see if it stresses/crazes and changes over time.

Thanks for the heads up on this issue - it sure is a tight fit - as we all know!

I popped up some other pics in this thread that might show more?

Mine took a couple days of hot/cold/dry/moist from going in and out of the house and being at work. I thought mine was scuffed also and was fine for the first little while. The crystal will fail soon because it cant handle the stress from being so tight on there. If it doesnt, then you are lucky, but mine all failed after a week or so. Just dont want to see you toast your movement from moisture because it will rust FAST after it gets wet.

Hopefully you will be ok, but be careful.

Just dont want to see you toast your movement from moisture because it will rust FAST after it gets wet.

Hopefully you will be ok, but be careful.

Thanks Dizzy I'll be keeping a close eye on it - will be / have been wearing it since Saturday but not bathing it :whistling:

I found some well priced old NOS vintage G&S Tropic 127 crystals for sale - just wondering if one of these might be better suited - suppose its worth a try?

Do you recall if anyone has tried these? It seems that they are popular vintage aftermarket crystals - especially in CONUS. Any views on that?

No you need to send it to a machine shop to get the rehaut turned down so the crystal fits properly. Its a design flaw in the watch. thats why the crystal that it comes with is so oversized.

You can contact JMB here on the forum and see if he has time to do it for you.