When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hacking Feature Not Working On Swiss Eta 6497's, E.g. Pam111h?

desoxyRNS

Hey guys, is the hacking feature (pulling out crown to adjust time) not working on Swiss ETA 6497 (manual wind)? I got a PAM111H with this movement, but when I pull the crown out, the second hand sweep keeps on sweeping and doesn't stop. Is this supposed to be like this?

Makes it hard to set the watch to atomic time like this...

Is the hacking feature only working on automatic movements then?

Thanks. :3a:

Edited by desoxyRNS

here's an idea re: setting one of these movements to the atomic clock. wait till the power reserve is fully depleted and the seconds hand is no longer sweeping.

then, set the time one minute ahead of the current time. then a few seconds before it the time on the clock approaches, begin winding the watch so that the second hand begins sweeping in sync with the atomic clock.

given this is hard to describe in words, here's an illustration.

i) you let your power reserve run down completely. the watch is now stopped at 7:47 & 47 seconds.

ii) it is currently 5:30, so you set the watch to read 5:31 & 47 seconds.

iii) right before 5:31 & 47 seconds approaches, begin winding the movement so that the seconds hand starts ticking in sync with the atomic clock.

let me know if this works for you -- i thought of it a while back but haven't tried it yet. :g:

dt

dt

Hey Delta, good idea.

Will try this one. But it's a pain in the ass to wait for that moment, would suck if it happens on the road and I am stuck "in time", so to speak :Jumpy:

But since it's the only option, I will give it a try. Then I can measure how well the movement lives up to the expectations...

Thanks again.

Two thumbs up. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Edited by desoxyRNS

I think I see what you are trying to do.

With my Patek 3919, there was no hacking.

One option is to put slight reverse pressure on the crown against the opposite direction you would wind it, not so much that the hands move backwards but enough that the second hand slows and then stops.

The other option I would always use is to send someone an instant message the moment the second hand struck a certain time. Then, the next day, do the same thing and compare the two times your IM program shows the messages were sent to see the daily deviation. (Keep in mind you will need to sync your computer time as well.)

Hope this helps!