When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Quick and Easy Cartel 5512 Fixup

jmb

I didn't need to but that's no guarantee...

I've just ordered the 5512 and 1680 from josh. I'm going to mod them as cheap as possible. So I was looking at a way to make the crown smaller without changing it.

I thought if I shave the inside of the crown and then re-shape it (round it off back to the way it should look) Then take a little off the tube. Would this work, or am I being stupid?

Kind regards, Marc.

That's what I did to this one except I did it in the lathe. You might be able to chuck the crown in an electric drill then put a file to it while it's spinning...

Well what I was thinking is holding it in some pliers, the crown may even fit in the teeth of them. Bit of masking tape to protect them, and the grind it on a fine grinding wheel. and finishing by hand with a polishing stone. But the chuck idea is a good one.

So it worked for you? and you didn't have to shorten the stem?

The reason I ask is I have never modded a watch ever! But I'm not daft I know I can do it, if it is possible.

Thanks for your replies they are much appreciated, Marc.

I've just ordered the 5512 and 1680 from josh. I'm going to mod them as cheap as possible. So I was looking at a way to make the crown smaller without changing it.

I thought if I shave the inside of the crown and then re-shape it (round it off back to the way it should look) Then take a little off the tube. Would this work, or am I being stupid?

Kind regards, Marc.

Hi check out my post (5513 project almost finished) i have trimmed up the crown without shortening it by grinding it at an angle at both ends to make it appear slimmer it was put in a watchmakers lathe

Hi check out my post (5513 project almost finished) i have trimmed up the crown without shortening it by grinding it at an angle at both ends to make it appear slimmer it was put in a watchmakers lathe

Hi aeromatic,

Just been reading your post, very nice indeed.

Is it not possible to shave the crown and shorten it, as JBM has done above? Would this not work better for you? As you are almost there. I don't think I would put a new crown on then.

Great post by the way, Well done with the watch it does look superb! Marc.

Hi aeromatic,

Just been reading your post, very nice indeed.

Is it not possible to shave the crown and shorten it, as JBM has done above? Would this not work better for you? As you are almost there. I don't think I would put a new crown on then.

Great post by the way, Well done with the watch it does look superb! Marc.

Hi Marcl

Thanks for compliments yes it can be shortened this will require shortening the tube too and the stem which needs someone

who has don this type of work before although i read someone somewere who shortened only the crown an tube

aero! i am planning another build for a 5513 but with a tall tropic crystal so this will be fitted with a yuki 7mm crown and tube 60usd i think this is a good price for a crown not sure about the stem though!