When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bell & Ross BR-02 Pics

Pakz

So I've finally pulled the trigger and gotten myself a nice Bell & Ross...

A BR02, steel on rubber, from Josh.

After intense reflexion, I've gone for the "lite" model, supposedly same case as the "swiss" but with a "genuinely asian DG4813" instead of a more expansive option that may well end up being the same or worse ;)

Anyway, I've had it for 4 days and have worn it constantly ever since... The watch is quite beautiful, rubber strap comfortable enough, but arrived a bit dirty. As for the movement, it's lost like 6 seconds overall, and the seconds hand sweep is quite smooth. We'll see how it stands the test of time, but I've always had good experiences with 2813 and 4813 and if the movement craps out, I'll be able to replace it (or try to... ) for cheap.

To the photos...

br021.jpg

br022.jpg

br023.jpg

br024.jpg

br025.jpg

now, the classic wristy:

br02wristy.jpg

and the no-less classic lume shot:

br02lume.jpg

At this point, I should mention that AR is average (thick crystal doesn't help, I guess) and lume is OK but not great...

Love it!

I used to have that same model in PVD. However the movement started to crap out on me when I was warming up the watch. Ill probably have to get another one since I sold the last one

Thanks...

I hope that the movement is going to last long enough... Anyway, I've always had fairly good experiences with these movements, even if they're prone to quirks that make you think they've got a problem.

I find that the BR02 is just the perfect day to day beater... in terms of looks, it's good looking but doesn't jump at the viewer as a "pricey watch", still those who know better well... know better! And since it's a very good replication, well unless you have time to judge the lume (and the gen has a not too fantastic lume, so even then... ) and have a gen BR02, it's hard to call the rep... Yesterday I checked a gen in the window of an AD... no visible difference. Put mine in my pocket, went in, tried on the gen... well, same feeling, weight, etc., only the rubber in the strap is a tiny bit more supple...

And as for the movements, it's keeping time very accurately so far... just loosing a handful of seconds a day. I'll probably vary a bit the night resting position to see if I can compensate for that...

Can the bezel rotation screw be screwed in or pushed in? I'm looking at dealers pics and half of the cheap versions have the thing too off from the case, so I'm wondering if that is a fault or just pulled out [censored].

I haven't really tried using the adjustment, and I don't really want to use that thing (even with my not perfectly aligned bezel)... I've read/heard that the entire contraption is damn fragile... however, yes, the bezel rotation "thingy" screws in.

In terms of cheap versions of that watch, there are two, it seems... The one I got, available from Josh (at least), which is the "swiss" version with the ETA replaced by an authentically Chinese DG4813 movement (beats at 28800 bph, some have expressed doubts about its reliability). The other cheap version has the "slow" 2813 movement and a (far) less convincing case and all... and just goes for like $30 or $20 than the first.

Today, I changed watches, after more than a week of exclusively wearing the BR02...

As stated, my rubber strap was dirty from the box, and even turning shiny in places... (shows a bit in the pics above) I was OK with that, thinking that maybe I'll get a gen one (they go for 60 something on the B&R online store).

Yet, I had read that for rubber straps showing signs of ageing, an easy cure was possible.

So I had to try... I took the stap off the watch and got it in really hot water (but not so hot that I'd burn myself putting my hands in there) and rubbed the things with my bare hands... That really did revive the rubber, except on one little spot, which I then rubbed with a little soap...

The strap has really changed aspect, becoming more "rubbery", uniformly mat!

So, no need to go gen on that yet!