When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fiddy Case: Gen vs EL

Watchmeister

I happened to be changing straps on my Fiddy and while I was at it I pulled out an EL case set and snapped a couple of quick pics. I am sure it has been done before but here is a refresher. bear in mind that the although the crystal is mounted in the bezel the bezel has not been permanently seated on the EL case so it will look taller.

IMGP0919.jpg

IMGP0921.jpg

IMGP0923.jpg

IMGP0924.jpg

Great share mate :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Funny though I am sat here studying the cases etc ...What keeps running through my head is the setting and circumstances of those shots..??

I can see what looks like a Screwdriver case in the back ground and of course the setting and now I am picturing the way these shots came about...;)

Yes, its called swapping straps in the kitchen. And of course the counter tops are reps of Ubi's. :D

While you were cooking or clearing up...!! :)

Actually neither. The wife wasn't home to yell at me. :lol:

Mate Your balls are bigger than mine...;) Either that or you have a secure bunker...:)

The EL looks like the V3?

Very clearly see the differences...just underlines how good the EL is but not that good...if you know what I mean.. Bezel shape, Lugs, Boat etc etc

I know A is using his own 1950 for the proposed new version...it will be interesting to see if they get it right... just better than EL would be great :)

Great share W :) If you get the chance next time you are home alone ;) could you take some daylight shots mate...its a great current reference :thumbsupsmileyanim:

when is this new "ultimate" 127E supposed to come out?

also, where currently is the best place to buy a 1950? i send a message to sead and he mentioned he builds them from the puretime base, mods the CG, CP and superlumes, and it has a sapphire crystal installed.

he says he's got some that are going to be ready with chief's AR by months end, but that's an extra $110.

is it worth waiting for this new 'ultimate' instead?

thanks for your help guys.

We will see what the new version holds, if they do it right they could have a real winner however if they don't our EL will yeild greater value :-)

I see something like ppl using a mix match of EL and A parts to make their super rep, however a few things you will still need the gen parts like movement,crystal

Some Old School cartel cases were also visually front loading....

Though you cannot mix and match with them with things like the CB etc

there is no super rep of the 127 or 217 right now, theres hope and rumours but none, all you can get now is dsn or other dealers, the only way to get an EL is on the used market and they rarely go for sale and go for a hefty sum, 700-800$ with no mods and even then you might not get the best version, so if you want to spend 300$ or so just get a dsn or other dealer and it will be a watch you will like

There is none right now. EL's was the best one. And in truth with a clear case back none are going to be that great. There is a rumored new version coming out but no sense on the timing other than this year.

IF that , i still have my doubts and honestly feel they will Never get the movement and crystal right

i don't really mind paying 500-1000 if it's an amazingly built watch and extremely close to gen. i mean, they ARE 20-25k watches, so having something brilliantly put together for 1000 or so seems like a pretty good deal to me.

If you are ready to pay top $, there are some great angelus panerais that would make any WIS weak on the knees. It takes a top watchmaker to build one (angelus calibers are old and need special care), luck (to find one or two working calibers), patience (since this is not a run of the mill project), and money (for all of the previous points). Do a search of the panerai area and see what gets your attention.

ps: 1000 is low for this kind of project

I wish , I'm going the franken route and just the dial is over 1000$

but I get what you are saying a 1000$ rep but problem is that not alot of ppl out there like you so the dealers gotta sell to the masses

but for 1000$ u can find some really nicely modded pams in the sales section

Yes u r right bit u could actually take and put the movements in from the back so not true front loading

Thats why I said "visually" ;)

I am not sure how Angelus movements came into this thread? as they only relate to the 203 and 267 on the 47mm case...but if you are after one be ready to pay 5K for a very in accurate version which will need a lot of modding to meet the OP version Angelus....

for 217 and 127 you would be talking H and E series movements which can be bought around the $1500 mark or the equivilent if you buy a gen to part out....

I considered this myself for my franken 217...but decided to invest in what could be seen on the wrist...So it has gen CG, Gen Crown, Gen dial, Gen Hands, Gen 217 (not 127) Crystal, gen bezel,

but for the movement I used an LH Destro movement which for me was good enough and a modded CB...

Now thats was a few quid in itself !!! So you wont get what would be considered a great franken for under a $1000 :) My be a nice EL with some Zig and gen touches but no more than that...:)