When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A helpful tip for setting your time accurately...

highlydope

Just a quick tip for PAM owners...

A lot of the time when I need to set my watch, I look at the time on my computer which is in digital XX:YY format. I do this because my computer's clock gets it time from pretty accurate servers on the net like time.nist.gov etc. You can set pretty much any computer to get its time from the Internet these days. The (minor) problem I have is converting digital time into analog format for my watch (i.e., getting the position of the hands just right) due to the lack of minute markers on the dial. Sure, you can get it pretty close but if you've got OCD about it like me you can set it very precisely by using the Panerai screen saver...

1. Set your computer's clock to retrieve its time from an internet atomic clock like the one at time.nist.gov

2. Download and install the Panerai screensaver for your mac or pc available here on Panerai's site.

3. Run the screensaver (see screenshot below for example) and set your watch hands to look exactly like it.

I typically wait until the screensaver minute hand hits one of the hour lines and then set the watch to line up the same way exactly.

Best of all, you can check the watch against the screensaver a day or a week or so later and have a pretty good idea if your watch is running fast or slow, it's not perfect but pretty damn close.

panerai.jpg

Edited by highlydope

Interesting idea! Thanks for sharing. The only downside I see with this is that it's not much of a screensaver if it doesn't move around much? I would imagine quite a few screens will have the panerai numerals burned into it fairly quickly

Interesting idea! Thanks for sharing. The only downside I see with this is that it's not much of a screensaver if it doesn't move around much? I would imagine quite a few screens will have the panerai numerals burned into it fairly quickly

It doesn't move around at all. But burn in would only be a problem for CRT or Plasma screens - the majority of computer screens these days are LCD which do not have burn in problems.