When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

existential question

neversummer

Hello gents!

I have already tried hanging this questin out, but that was at the end of my own thread on completely different matter. The question still remains and is bugging me all the time. See I was no repgeek for just a couple of months ago, happy with my classy swatches and dreaming of a Milgauss. Then my grandfathers watch brought me here and a whole new world suddenly oppened and soon enough I started to realize that the

replicamaking is real art and people building frankens are real artists. However its only us a bunch of enthusiasts who percept the repbusiness this way. In the eyes of a vast majority out there your rep watch still represents Canal Street and is just a cheap copy whatever mega franken you wear.

But I am here to stay and now I own a beautiful 116400GV (thank you josh!) and very nice BK edition of 116610LN (thank you BK!). Realizing that I am i deep trouble with this new hobby and having a son who is only 3 but growing I am starting to ask a question of whether it is appropriate to let my son inherit my rep watch? I am definitely going to purchase a gen Milgauss and gen Submariner but I am afraid I am going to have many more replications of beautiful timepieces and I wont be able to "gen them all".

Does a watch posses a value just because its you fathers watch even though its a rep with Canal Street strings attached...?

I do not know if I succeded making this post clear, its rather hard putting into words this kind of thoughts in English for a non native speaker and I have noone to ask except you guys.

What do you think? Am I just being silly?

When my mother passed away a few years ago we had to go through her jewelry collection. We basically ended up with two piles: 1.) The good stuff / real pearls, diamonds, etc. Heirlooms and things my wife and sister kept. and 2.) The "costume" jewelery pile, or non-valuable stuff / art-jewelry. I fear a replica watch will fall into the costume pile, and your gens will go on as family heirlooms.

When you kids are old enough, make sure they know what is rep and what is gen. It could save embarrassment if they needed to sell any of it.

Thanks Ronin! I will do my best but then again ther is a risk/chance that they will follow fathers fotsteps and start admiring reps as well :) The latter scenario is quite appealing actually, isn¨t it? :thumbsupsmileyanim:

When you kids are old enough, make sure they know what is rep and what is gen. It could save embarrassment if they needed to sell any of it.