When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Should I send it for repair or sell as parts ? Daytona with A7750 Need your advice !

rapcat

Hi guys ! Long time reader here in this forum and got lots of valuable knowledge thanks to you guys :)

Few month back, my everyday companion Daytona with 7750 Asian ? that I purchased 3 years ago took a dump on me and stopped working right :( The sec hand will move for wile and stop. This watch has served me for years and I am very happy with the quality however, it maybe a time to move on and find my new love again. I have my eyes on Explorer 1 this time :)

So, my question to you guys is should I send it for repair or sell as parts or trade ? I contacted The Zigmeister in regards to this and looks like its going to be somewhere around $200 for full service. I asked him his opinion as well if its worth the repair.

Any of you guys know a watch smith in US preferably in central Florida or close by ? If you have any good experiences with a watch smith in the community, please do share your experience, how much was cost etc.. Look forward hearing from you all !!

Here are some snap shots that I took today with my phone, sorry for the bad quality. I like to hear your opinion about this watch since I did not purchase from our community dealer. Thanks !!

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0256.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

If Ziggy will service your Daytona, that's the best you can do. Is it worth it? That's for you to decide. But if you've been wearing it for a couple of years and enjoyed it, it seems like a worthwhile expense to me. Of course by now I'm sure you realize the shortcomings of the seconds at 6 Daytona, so I won't go into all that.

An Explorer I is typically a good rep, but you could still be faced with servicing the movement- that's something that is inherent in ALL of the reps which we buy- just the nature of our hobby. But servicing an Explorer I would only run $70-100. Good luck.

I know for fact that if I give it to The Zigmeister for service, it will comeback better then coming from the factory brand new. I thought about buying the movement alone and swapping it my self.. if I can find the same movement of course. Any idea how much they are going for ? just he movement in Daytona at 6.

Far as Explorer 1 is concern, I love the looks of specially the 1016 vintage. And reliability must be slightly better, if not far more better then A7750 because simply less mechanical functions. I am on the hunt right now as we speak for 1016's but still unsure about which movement to go with. ETA is great but its too fast of beet per sec then original. Asian movement maybe closer however lacks the reliability from my understanding. Is it well worth the extra bucks for ETA movement ?

Also, I always assumed that buying rep with Asian movement in $100-$150 will have exterior defects or cheap feels compare to $200-$350 range super rep with ETA. But, as I learned, that's not always the case. It could be simply just the movement differences and no changes in the exterior shell. If you have any suggestion on 1016's please do let me know. And also anyone who has the A7750 movement for Daytona please do let me know as well :)