When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How To Polish Light Scratches Off Mirror Finish On Ss?

bklm1234

I used watchbandrenew which has diff grid no. papers, from 30 microns, to 15, 9, 3, 2, 1. I used 9, then 3, 2, 1 but I can't regain the mirror finish, high gloss, but not quite mirror as original. It's a base luminor rep. Any suggestion, cape cod, dremell? BTW watchbandrenew, $10 for base kit, (at watchbandrenew@yahoo.com) is great for satin brushed polishing. I used for my sub rep. Use 30 micron for deeper scratches (can't handle real deep scratches though), finish off with 15 micron. Perfect.

I used watchbandrenew which has diff grid no. papers, from 30 microns, to 15, 9, 3, 2, 1. I used 9, then 3, 2, 1 but I can't regain the mirror finish, high gloss, but not quite mirror as original. It's a base luminor rep. Any suggestion, cape cod, dremell? BTW watchbandrenew, $10 for base kit, (at watchbandrenew@yahoo.com) is great for satin brushed polishing. I used for my sub rep. Use 30 micron for deeper scratches (can't handle real deep scratches though), finish off with 15 micron. Perfect.

I've put several deepish scratches on the back of my Navitimer-clone, which had an original mirror-like polished finish. I was able to buff it out using a Dremel rotary tool, with the felt polishing disc and a dab of 421 polishing compound. It takes time, and you should be careful as to not OVER-polish, which take off too much metal...

I guess it depends on the depth and seriousness of the scratch.

I normally use Brasso S/S polish - it works wonders, restores the metal to its former polished mirror finish.

You can get it (or similar products) from a supermarket for few dollars.

DO NOT use any sand paper or Dremmel grinding implements, although they'll take away the scratch, you will never regain that high-polish finish again. The exception would be using dremmel wheel to brush off, then another wheel to polish and then again another one to restore high-gloss finish, but this will take patience and time, and you'll have to be very carefull in your initial grit sellection.

Polishing with Brasso also takes time, but it's fool proof.

cheers,

babola