When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken AP question

I too have the same bug...have few parts in...but have not found anyone yet that can do the amazing work that some of the folks on the forum do and unfortunately they are not yet taking on new projects. But according to some the cost with parts and all mods can be as high as 2-3K (I have not verified this).

I too have the same bug...have few parts in...but have not found anyone yet that can do the amazing work that some of the folks on the forum do and unfortunately they are not yet taking on new projects. But according to some the cost with parts and all mods can be as high as 2-3K (I have not verified this).

Sorry mate, you are wrong...

The price depends on what you are willing to pay for it and how long you want to look for parts.

I have built a black themes which came with a brand new hornback, deployment and conversion links. All bought at an AD

Price for this strap set allone was € 1500,- ( $ 2100,)

With gen hands, gen dial, gen tachyring, gen crown, gen crown tube, gen pushers and a completely serviced LWO movement, the price was between 5 and 6K.

Yep, serious money but my customer wanted it fast and paid the full price.

Although it cost a lot, it's still 1/2 the price of a used gen one and about 1/3 of the price of a new gen one.

It looks, feels and functions like the gen and also the durabillity is the same as the gen.

The price depends on what you are willing to pay for it and how long you want to look for parts.

I have built a black themes which came with a brand new hornback, deployment and conversion links. All bought at an AD

With gen hands, gen dial, gen tachyring, gen crown, gen crown tube, gen pushers and a completely serviced LWO movement, the price was between 5 and 6K.

Although it cost a lot, it's still 1/2 the price of a used gen one and about 1/3 of the price of a new gen one.

It looks, feels and functions like the gen and also the durabillity is the same as the gen.

A friend of mine went into the AD's this weekend and spontaniously bought a AP roo blue leather.

The asking price was 19 k € , he payed 13.5k € inc. SS bracelet.

Hís watch is can be sold on the 2nd hand market for 10k in 5 yrs.

I'm having a hard time to believe that will happen to a franken.

Never the less the watches are great, I've said before. But I can get a gen ROO on the black market for 6k€ for sure (maybe 7k€ if there a particular color combination I want et.c).

Anyone in Stockholm with a little bit of watch contacts can do the same..

My 5 cents.

I believe the going rate for a used new case standard Offshore with box and papers in the U.S. is $10 -13K USD or so. Although Sander's build is an exception given all those gen parts - these frankens are normally buildable for $2,500-$3,500 depending on the dial and whether you can find hands, crown and tube.

As I said, it's what you are willing to pay for and how long you want hunting for parts.

I once bought an almost new hornback with deployment for only $ 750,-

If I need one right now, I also have to go to the AD and pay th full price for it.

The modern dials go for more than $ 1000,- on the bay.

I know someone who paid more than $ 1500,- for a dial, tachyring and handset.

I once scored an old style dial for only $ 75,-

The LWO movements are usually old and poorly serviced. If you are spending big bugs on a franken, you might as well have the movement serviced.

These DD modules are pretty complex and I charge $ 350,- for it.

price of a franken has always been determined by how much you can stomach and what % of the Gen price it is... also if you take a franken back apart you can often get all your money back... but many people never part with their super frankens so if that's the case it really doesn't matter.

I agree with all franken's it's the amount you are willing to spend to get the watch you desire. Price and parts availability always factor in how far a person can take this hobby. I have found the longer the person has collected reps the more knowledge they are around cost and what they are getting themselves into. Often times people want to sign up however they don't want to make the investment.

ask any gen owner... there was a time when they couldn't imagine spending even $500 on a watch let alone $10k... with knowledge and experience you realize how important or not important some of the details are.

For me I don't want a rep that's pretty good or 97% there... I'll just buy a normal watch I like for that money instead of a rep... APs are amazing to me because they have so much potential to be perfect! not 98% but 100%!!! There's not one Panerai case that you can buy right now that by changing some things mechanically about it you can have a 100% 1:1, not one. A franken AP can be 1:1 and for 1/5th the cost of gen? Many people have spent closer to $7k on a fiddy franken and its still not 1:1. There will always be folks that want to wear a rep and not mod it and that's fine... just not my cup of tea, especially when perfection is so close at hand.

• 1 month later...

Hi do you do mod. on Audemars Piquet Royal Oak ?