When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AR'ing the GMTIIC

freddy333

As some of you know, 1 of the shortcomings on all GMTIIC reps (& other current Rolex sports models with AR'd date windows) is their lack of AR on the crystal, above/below the cyclops, which produces the elusive (it only occurs under the right lighting conditions) black hole effect over the date window as seen here on my gen crystal

benzgmt20162__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

Previous attempts at AR'ing the cyclops itself have, to my eye, produced neither the black hole nor any real improvement over the standard, non-AR'd crystal. So, along with stopping into just about every jewelry store I pass (in my ongoing search for NOS Rolex parts), I have been asking eyeglass stores if their lab can AR specific sections of a lens by masking-off the other sections? The typical answer is no. However, recently, I found a shop that said 1 of their labs has done something similar before. So, last week, we sent them an aftermarket crystal (purchased from a well-known/reliable ebay seller) with instructions to AR the underside of the crystal below the cyclops & this is what I received back. As you can see, as indicated by the jagged edges, the masking was not perfect but the basic shape is correct & in the correct location (below the cyclops)

eyear0041.jpg

(Shown here with gen-style gasket, which was not used because it does not fit rep cases)

eyear0061.jpg

So let us see how it looks on the watch (remember, the AR was applied only on the underside of the crystal)

eyear20051.jpg

Definitely, a step in the right direction (the reflection over the date window is a bit darker/clearer than the rest of the crystal & you can see the AR 'rainbow'), but not quite a black hole. Obviously, having AR topside would be required to complete the effect. Unfortunately, the lab had already told me that applying any type of adhesive/cement to the AR will damage it, so they cannot AR the top of the crystal beneath the cyclops. However, while not the best solution, I may try the next best thing - AR'ing the top surface of the cyclops. Although the AR will eventually wear away (if it does not get scratched off 1st), if it works to produce the black hole effect, it might be an option for watches that see only occasional wear, which is the case with my TT GMTIIC here (wearing yellow gold generally makes me cringe). Unfortunately, other things have come up that will delay me from being able to spend much time on this for the next week or 2, but I will try to get the lab to do a 2-side AR treatment & report back the results.

Been on the hunt for a Gen crystal but they are hard to come by....

They recently became even more difficult -- Rolex has officially warned independent members within its service network that they will lose their Rolex accounts if found to be selling parts. While I understand their point, if they really want to curb fakes & aftermarket parts, they ought work out a simple way for independent watchmakers to purchase genuine Rolex parts, if for no other reason than to make aftermarket parts less attractive. They have fallen into the same trap the record companies did in the early days of mp3 downloading. That is, instead of profiting from the sale of more genuine Rolex parts, they are simply directing profits to the aftermarket & fake markets. And I am not just referring to franken-builders, but, also, average gen owners, who cannot rationalize jumping through the official hoops Rolex puts them through just to get a crystal, crown, bracelet part or gasket as I used to do back in the 80s.

Interesting, but as you said, finding AR labs to do this kind of work is really difficult.

Once I have finalized the procedure & sorted out some logistical details, I am trying to work out a deal with the lab so others can send them their crystals to be AR'd.

Watch this space for further details in the future.

• 2 weeks later...