When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken Conundrum

tanya

As many of you have seen, I have a Franken 005K for sale. The ONLY reason I am selling it is the fact that I had it sold a month ago, along with my Franken 177L. They buyer paid me a deposit, was unable to pay the balance and the sale died. During that time when I thought the buyer was solid I was offered another new stock OEM dial and hands from my friendly source. I also had a duplicate hybrid case set (111J case and CG with 005K crown and caseback) sitting on my watchmaker bud's desk. So thinking this one was gone (until two days ago) I had him go ahead and assemble another with swiss movement.

I also have Franken Fiddy which I just sourced an OEM hand set for. This brings the build to:

OEM crystal

OEM movement

OEM Dial

OEm Hands

OEM CG body

EL's best mid case

El's best bezel

El shadow caseback wi sapphire glass

And

Franken 177L

OEM Dial

OEM Hands

OEM movement

H-fact 177L case set

I guess my conundrum comes from the fact that I lose focus and start another Franken project before finishing the first. And that as satisfying as the hobby is (and I love it) at a certain point it would be more financially feasible to add more gens instead.

My current plan is to keep one of the Franken 005K's, keep on track with Franken Fiddy and enhance Franken 177L with the new H-factory 177M crown and CG

What say the experts?? Lose the Frankens and add a couplemore gens or continue on. I suppose I need reassurance that I am not sick in the head!!!

I suspect you are like me and prefer building frankens to buying gens but are bothered by the fact that a gen is a gen. I think about it a couple of ways. I ask myself what gen I can truly afford to buy in lieu of those frankens. You would be surprised at how little you can buy. Would you really be happy giving up multiple frankens for one gen and how long will that one gen keep you satisfied. It sounds like the Fiddy is your must keep piece of the frankens. What gen are you going to buy selling the other two? Assuming you are not thinking about adding money it is most likely a gen of one of your frankens. :lol:

exactly my thoughts Warren

I own four gen pams a 219J, 87G, 297L and 240-296K

Love em all but I don't know that I love them more than a well done Franken

Dunno I suppose I cherish my Gen Rollies more

I owned a gen 177H for some time but I find myself getting the same satisfaction wi the Franken 177L,

A gen is a gen,no matter what you add to a rep,its still a rep,big waste of $ imo modding like this but to each his own i guess.

You have 4 gens (and other rollie gens?),i have no idea what you would do with another watch,i have a hard time deciding what to wear with the 2 gens i have,and the 2 reps i own sit in a kitchen cupboard.

If ya really need another watch,pickup another gen... 8)

HA HA

Dave cracks me up

I am a hoarder can't help it

Besides the Gen Rollies are like money in the bank with the state of this economy. In two years I may need to barter them to Bejing for food rations and gasoline

I think keep going with your Franken projects mate, you know it's the disease that has no cure.

Yes gens are gens, but my reps are so well made with great effort and care, I have equal admiration for both types. I can look at my gen IWC AT non chrono and my rep 219/177 with equal lust. They are perfect to me because the materials that make them encapture the "style" and "fit" I desire. Besides, they can all tell the time equally well :p

People with 127's have a hard decision to make.

Just like the flurry of franken PAM sales 4-5 months ago ahead of the Cartel release of it's famous new models, the Cartel 1950 will be here in a few months, and it's going to de-value all the frankens out there *if* it's good enough.

So ... what do you do? Do you try and sell NOW at full price to someone who is unaware that a super-rep is coming, or hold onto your franken, and enjoy it but accept you will not be able to sell it for 1/2 you spent on it in the future.

i just sold super franken 112 (gen crystal, dial, hands, movement, case, tube, crown and CG). Gen 112 is way to much expensive for what it is. now is there a reason to spend 2k for 112 that is not kosher? i dont think so! you can buy used gen 112 for 3k! so what is the point then?

its just not smart investment. 127, or 217 is different story. vintage pams with sf240 are something too but 177 or 111 i really don't think is worth of money and hustle. the old days are gone and parts are insane expensive today if you can find them in a first place. game changed a lot

Thanks all

Franken Fiddy ain't going anywhere. Unless the coming super rep is made by the Richemont group it won't compare with OEM

I think I may keep the Franken 005K (maybe) and sell the OEM dial and hand set I have incoming

If anyone wants a set of OEM 005K dial and hands let me know, should be here by the beginning of next week