When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Herro

Hello, this is actually my third post here since I dove right in and posted my question in the Rolex forum. I'm 26 and started collecting watches about two years ago. I started with a vintage 1964 Rolex DateJust and I've added other gen Rolexes and a Tudor Heritage Chrono to my collection since. I also have a vintage Timex and my daily watch that I wear is a Orient Snorkeler (sub homage). I don't have any replicas yet, but I came here because I'm investigating making a decent large crown 6538/5510 Rolex, as James Bond was one of my heroes growing up and I'm a bit of a fanatic... but I can't justify the money required to get into one of those watches in even rough shape.

I'm also hoping to expand my knowledge of the workings of watches so I can start messing around and doing customization/service of my own. Looking for suggestions on quality tools and case back openers if anyone feels like steering me in the right direction!

You all seem like a really friendly bunch, so I'm excited to tap into your resources and knowledge!

Matt

You guys definitely seem the friendliest of the bunch from websites I've been going to looking for info on this.

Man, some of these watches that you guys mod have me drooling, and these reps are uncanny enough to make me do double takes on my own and wonder whats probably not original on them.

The only new(ish) watch I own is the Tudor, which is decidedly retro... I refuse to buy anything new and get hit with depreciation/taxes. I am seriously considering a Deep Sea or an Explorer rep when I finish my Bond homage project. Hehe, I feel like I'm in a candy store.

Edited by VespaMatt

hi matt,

first off, welcome to RWG :victory:

as for your question re: a decent starter toolkit, this kit from watch bitz has pretty much everything you need to get started.

as others of said, i think you'll find yourself right at home here. be warned -- this hobby is addicting -- you may soon find yourself with a hole in your pocket(book).

all the best,

deltatahoe

ps, as for the big crown -- at 26 you have plenty of years to strive for the big crown one day -- in the meantime, enjoy some of the amazing replications to be found here for a fraction of the cost of their genuine counterparts. i think you'll be shocked at the quality of some of the best reps (even compared to your gens). they are quality watches, and great relative value -- end of story.