When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Seiko Divers

smayles

There seems to be something of a cottage industry in the Philippines refurbishing Seiko divers - some with replacement faces/hands and one in particular with faces replaced by carbon fibre. Does anyone have any experience of these?

Yes,

Short answer, what you receive will not be serviced.

The cost of parts to "refurbish" does not equal the cost of the item.

You can do this (much) cheaper yourself with the right skills.

(from a watchsmith doing 10+ Seiko refurbs /week.)

Here is a classic equation.

Old watch =$45.00

Dial/hands/glass/seals/ bezel insert. +$100. ( or more..depends on your contacts)

Service, remod, pressure test $175.00.

Total = $340.00

Actual value at resale = (Maybe) $175.00!

Thats all in U$.

Do your own homework from that!

No, it isn't viable...been there - done that.

O/S

There seems to be something of a cottage industry in the Philippines refurbishing Seiko divers - some with replacement faces/hands and one in particular with faces replaced by carbon fibre. Does anyone have any experience of these?

If that's what you're looking for, why not buy the Seiko 5 Limited Edition 40th Anniversary Diver Titanium SKZ205K they put out some years ago with the carbon fiber dial? I have one NIB that I bought new as a collectible when they first offered them. It is incredible - the dial has a 3D effect you cannot appreciate from the pictures and the lume makes everything else out there look weak.

Bill

If that's what you're looking for, why not buy the Seiko 5 Limited Edition 40th Anniversary Diver Titanium SKZ205K they put out some years ago with the carbon fiber dial? I have one NIB that I bought new as a collectible when they first offered them. It is incredible - the dial has a 3D effect you cannot appreciate from the pictures and the lume makes everything else out there look weak.

Bill

That is a great looking watch Bill! Any pics?