When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What is the best automatic replica that could be used as a daily beater?

xeneize

I just would like to have your honest opinion. Most of you are way more knowledgeable about watches than me. I am completely in love with my Aquaracer Daydate chrono replica with blue face that I bought from trusty, but I keep having trouble with the clasp that won't lock. I talked about this problem with Andrew and he was nice enough to send me a replacement clasp for free, but it happened again, a watchsmith told me there is a problem with the spring inside the lock, and once that spring looses its shape there is no comeback. So, I figured I can not longer wear my dearly beloved Aquaracer everyday and I'm looking now for an alternative that is still atractive to look at (sweeping seconds hand)and built well enough to take the roughness of my everyday life sitting in a desk at the office.

Thanks, I really appreciate any input.

Hi

No real need to get a new watch because of this. Why not buy yourself a nice leather strap?

Besides this your question is far too general to answer. There's hundreds of possibilities. If you like to deal with Andrew have a look at his site, choose some models, research them here, then ask specific open questions.

There are some watches that have known functionality flaws, like all seconds at six chronographs. But that you'll find out by reading the reviews on the watch you research. Generally speaking, the more complicated and unusual the model the higher the risk of problems with functionality.

Read around in the brands sections! It's fun and educating at once.

Good luck!

Val.

Personally, I go for non chrono's when it comes to a daily beater. Simply less that can go wrong.

When I was walking I managed to Bump the start button on my Breitling Avenger really hard, which started the chrono and I couldn't turn it off, it sorta jammed in. Lent it to a friend, it now stops the chrono, but the reset button doenst work.. dunno wtf he did. Where as with a simple and tough screwdown non chrono, you cant do too much damage. Guess it depends on how abusive you are on your watches, Im pretty bad.

Can go wrong with an Omega PO, Breitling Steelfish, Breitling Seawolf, Sinn U2, Panarai (if you can stomach them)

Personally, I go for non chrono's when it comes to a daily beater. Simply less that can go wrong.

When I was walking I managed to Bump the start button on my Breitling Avenger really hard, which started the chrono and I couldn't turn it off, it sorta jammed in. Lent it to a friend, it now stops the chrono, but the reset button doenst work.. dunno wtf he did. Where as with a simple and tough screwdown non chrono, you cant do too much damage. Guess it depends on how abusive you are on your watches, Im pretty bad.

Can go wrong with an Omega PO, Breitling Steelfish, Breitling Seawolf, Sinn U2, Panarai (if you can stomach them)

+1

I LOVED my Aquaracer Day/Date to death, but daily use was just too much. Had some intermittent problems with the chrono, and after dropping it once (from the nightstand onto wood floor) the frame around the day/date-window fell off the watch face. Was too tired to check it out until the next morning and by then it had jammed the hands pretty good. Another example is the Porsche Design Flat-6, again problems with the chrono. Got it fixed one time, and now I just don't use the feature. :p

As for daily use, I've beaten around an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean SS for around a year now, still looks fantastic and runs like.. err, clockwork. ;)

Simple rule of thumb: Keep it simple, stupid. Fewer features = fewer things that can go wrong.

Edited by Thklinge