When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Updates for my GMTIIc CHS and good use for VHB tape!

chiman12

My GMT IIc with the CHS running has been running strong for a few years now and I recently decided that it need a few updates. The AR on the cyclops is definitely on my hit list as well as a gen dial...if one can be had for a cheap price. But my first update is a gen bezel that I bought a little while ago. Here is the outcome:

P1014406.jpg

P1014408.jpg

I must say that the rep bezel quite different than the gen bezel. The edges of the rep bezel font are sharp, while they are smooth on the gen. The fill (paint) for the rep bezel is a distinct color, while for the gen, it will flip and change according to lighting. Plus the zeroes on the rep bezel is pretty much a square "0", while on the gen, they have a slight bulge to them.

With this, I had to set the insert into place and didn't want to deal with set times and the mess associated with liquid adhesives. I also didn't want to use dial tape, because I always thought that it didn't have enough "sticking force" to ensure that bezel insert will stay in place. In addition, dial tape will lose it's adhesiveness with time.

One day I ran across this tape...

P1014411.jpg

It is 3m Very High Bond (3M F9460PC)VHB) adhesive transfer tape and I am very impressed with it!

It is easy to handle and replaces rivets, bolts, screws, welding and liquid adhesives and is made specifically for metal to metal bonds! The tape is good to -40F to 300F and resists moisture, UV and solvents, is clear and unobtrusive. The tape is available in a variety of thicknesses and widths (I used 1" by 2 mil). The kicker is that you can get 60 yards of tape for less than $40!

I had historically used glue to retro-fit my dials, but I'm going to give this tape a try in the future. Afterall there are no messes and drying times to deal with and this 3M tape has stronger holding power than traditional dial tape.

I give this tape my :good: :good: rating