When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Found a nice review on the Pam 183

Thor

Page 1:

Interesting review, I do have to agree with his basic point, you do get what you pay for,. however I would still rather have 20 reps than 1 real :thumbsup:

B)

Let me sumarize thesubtext ofthe review: "I have the sneaking suspicion the Richmont Group ripped me off, but I can't fully come to grips with it."

The review itself is actually very fair and accurately points out the differences between a $4500 wach and a $300 watch. I wonder though, if the author was struck by the same realization any RWG would be struck with when reading the review: That "on the wrist" the $300 wath would be utterly indistinguishable from the $4500 watch and that the mechanical/finish differences account for maybe another $500 of the $3800 price gap.

Read differences tha authorfound between his genuine 183 and his buddy's rep. Then ask yourself who got a better deal. Somebody's out 3800 bucks worth of watches. Who is it?

Actually you are correct,

With the rep you get exactly what you pay for.

The real on the other hand......................... :unsure:

IMHO, it really boils down to what you have.

mentally, you will defend the one you have. eg. If I spent 3800 for the watch, I will tell you reps are not worth a single dime. But if I have a 159 replica (Like I am now :blushing: ) I will tell you that you i rather have 30 reps than 1 real, when I can change one everyday for a whole month!

again my 0.20 worth

@ erest: RM0.20 = about USD$0.05 so your opinion is not worth much :lol:

Just kidding!!! You make a great point actually. Sure, there is the issue of copyright infringement and intellectual property theft etc but I doubt that the hardcore Paneristi care about that stuff. I think they just fancy themselves as members of an elite group that not everyone can join. Some Paneristi should get off their high, high horse and just admit, "I hate reps because other people can now have what I have, and I don't like it."

I have both a genuine and rep Panny and love both for what they are. I love the genuine because frankly, it's nice to have a pretty watch that's well-made and runs well. The history of the company is rich and interesting, but to say that I have "passion" for some Italian frogmen and their diving apparatus is laughable. I love the rep because, man, what a great deal for a watch that looks so good and is mechanically identical!

Do you think Bonati is losing sleep because he's worried that EL's 183 will erode sales of the genuine 183? Nah, he's probably worried about why he doesn't sell more OEM straps because there are DIRECT SUBSTITUTES out there.

All I'm saying is this: accept them for what they are! As River said, "don't treat rep like genuine!" But it's so funny because they fear Eddie's CNC machine!!!!!!!

Arch man you sumarised that very nice.....you took the words out of my mouth!!!

I'm glad I bought the 183. It's a beauty. I think I got much more watch than I paid for.

I wonder why?

:ph34r:

He must have a damn good ear! Weren't THEY the ones bitching about Panerai not being COSC?????

By ear my 111 runs about 3 seconds a day faster than my real, which runs 3 minutes slow per day.

Moron.

This reminds me of a group of 12 year olds... one group has X-Boxes and so according the them PlayStation sucks. The others hve the PS2 and they claim the X-Box blows... its childish and just plain stupid.

I own genuines and I own fakes, they are DIFFERENT and both are very enjoyable. The fact is that the genuines are VASTLY superior in quality. Don't fool yourself into thinking they are somehow identical to the real deal, they simply are not. They do not wind the same, they do not have the same finish, they obviously do not have the same quality control or waranty etc. However they cost a FRACTION of the price, and for the money they come damn close to the real deal.

In terms of time keeping, my Unitas based FAKE Panerais keep some of the best time of any watch that I own, much better in fact than my genuine Rolex wathes. Then again I have never heard of a genuine Panerai arriving busted, or breaking within a month after arrival... I hear that ALL THE TIME about the fakes.

The bottom line is that the fakes are great for what they are and are really the best fakes out there (I think the 183 in particular is good). On the other hand the genuines are superior in quality (as they damn well should be) and you get a certain satisfaction owning the real deal.

Unlike some of you I would MUCH rather have one genuine than 10 fakes, but I still love the fakes... they are different and should each be appreciated on there own terms.

But, he did get the crown of the rep being crappy correct. This is a significant problem with the 183 rep.

The 'glow' issues that he had and the regulation issues can be corrected and still the rep will cost 1/6th of the original.

I think he is saying that he's going to keep wearing the genuine one and not get a replica.

...this struck me as rediculous as well...at first. Then I remembered that our Unitas based Pam reps are running at 18,000 bph, while the genuine, modified movements run at 21,600. The difference is noticable...

...but it is absurd to assert that he can detect a difference in accuracy by ear!

I will say I'm taking a hard look at that new Base Radiomir. If I could get one them and put an OEM strap on it and get some "spit and polish" like smoothed edges and new Luminova, I think that one would be sweet.

Page 2:

If I won the lotto tommorrow and was able to buy any real watch it would be something that has not been replicated yet(1950 8days and the 8days radiomir) and then I would have El throw it up on the autocad so I could have real and rep. I would never stop wearing my reps though. I have a real rollie and wear my rep rollies way more. I dont try to sell my reps as real and I don't tell people that I have on a $10,000 dollar watch. I have not meant a single person who even knows what a panerai is and If I do They will be impressed by the quality of my rep and the fact that I love the brand and the history so much that I would risk ridicule so that I could have my favorite watches on my wrist and still have my money market account unharmed and intact. I could have baught just on real panerai (if I pushed it two) but there are so many models that I like, reps make it possible to own them all and not neglect basic neccesities like buying pumas and taking bong hits.

I am outraged...aghast...they're so close to real...what nerve...so pretty but so cheap...how can you sleep at night...

can you get me one? :lol:

I need to order a 183. It looks to good. :huh:

quote:

As it turns out a friend of mine (who shall remain nameless ) recently purchased a fake 183 off of the internet.

I'll bet you 10 bucks "a friend" is actualy himself!!!!

;);)

two difference pics, two difference movement, two difference prices

:D:D

The best argument against buying a genuine 183.

Thx for sharing

Regards

I ran across this again and remembered all the new members talking about the 183s.

You have to remember that this is the older style movement bridge, before the swan neck revolution, but it is an interesting review none the less.

BUMP