When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Would appriciate help. Should I get a $300 rep or a $300 gen from another brand?

The difficult question is keeping me from getting anything at all. I'm looking at two watches right now. Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 42mm 5th Gen with black dial/orange letters SS bracelet Asian Clone 2824 and Tag Aquaracer 500m black dial Asian Clone 2824

Now after reading about the problems of the Omega clasp breaking and trouble finding replacement parts, I'm considering the Tag, but I don't like the fact that the Tag has no AR and that it looks too "sporty" for my tastes.

So option 3, I was considering just getting an auto watch from any other brand (Timex, Seiko, Citizen, etc) but here are some of the things which I would really like on it.

1.) Sapphire glass with AR (because it makes the dial "pop" and look expensive)

2.) Deployant/Scissor style clasp (I hate the flimsy metal clasps found on Fossils and Rolexes)

3.) A HIGH BEAT movement. This is a must, I want the beat rate offered in a ETA 2824 because it's butter smooth, I hate the 21J "stop and go" sweep

4.) A display caseback would be nice but I don't mind if its not there.

5.) Lume would be nice but I might be asking for too much.

Would anyone have recommendations? I have a small wrist (6 inches) so please recommend accordingly.

If you are looking for very good quality affordable gen timepieces you might want to take a look at the Grand Seikos' little brothers the Seiko Spirit range. These are amazing value for money and considered best bang for the buck by many on the gen forums. They are a more than your $300 limit, but can be found at very reasonable prices on the second hand market.

Here's their line-up. It's the models starting with SARBxx at the bottom. The page is in Japanese, but you get the idea. Generally every Seiko with 6R15 movement is worth a look.

If you are looking for very good quality affordable gen timepieces you might want to take a look at the Grand Seikos' little brothers the Seiko Spirit range. These are amazing value for money and considered best bang for the buck by many on the gen forums. They are a more than your $300 limit, but can be found at very reasonable prices on the second hand market.

Here's their line-up. It's the models starting with SARBxx at the bottom. The page is in Japanese, but you get the idea. Generally every Seiko with 6R15 movement is worth a look.

Thanks for that! But if I'm mistaken the 6R15 movement is a low-beat (21k) movement which is not what I'm looking for. Any others?

Thanks for that! But if I'm mistaken the 6R15 movement is a low-beat (21k) movement which is not what I'm looking for. Any others?

While the 6R15 is a low beat, it is a direct driven second hand, so it doesn't have the second hand stutter which might be the thing bothering you.