When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Seawolf Chrono rep

importr

Was looking around the dealers for fun (as you do), and I keep going back to look at the Seawolf chrono rep.

I know there are a look of flaws at this price range, but could it be the test bed for a proper ETA quartz chrono rep?

GEN

breitling-avenger-seawolf-chrono-blacksteel-m.jpg?1305036956

breitling-seawolf-chrono.jpg

REP:

1.jpg

1.jpg

and more to the point: It looks like a real Breitling :D

I hope so :) I wouldnt mind a good quartz Breitling at all. Its a shame they dont put in the same effort they doon the quartz models like they do on the 7750's. Id love to have one that looks superb like the SA but the reliability of a quartz.

Yeah the gen uses the same movt as the rep (and gen) Porsche Design Flat Six chrono quartz. So the movt isn't hard to source. Just matter of getting the dual right. I'm bored of stencils which I why I like this dial

Yeah the gen uses the same movt as the rep (and gen) Porsche Design Flat Six chrono quartz. So the movt isn't hard to source. Just matter of getting the dual right. I'm bored of stencils which I why I like this dial

The rep Breitling and the rep Flat Six DON'T use the same movement as the gen at all. The movement just has the same subdial layout but different functions on the subdials. The left subdial on the gen counts 12 hours for the chrono and counts the chrono minutes from the center. So there are two chrono hands in the center.

Not only would the gen 12 hour hour, 1/10th seconds ETA chrono be a much better movement than the 30 minutes, 1/10th ETA chronos they use in the reps, but the movements used by Breitling do have modded/exchanged controllers and have thermocompensation so they pass the Superquartz test, similar to the chronometer test..

That said, It would be possible to make 1:1 reps of the Breitling Aerospace and the analog chronos like the Seawolf chrono or the chrono avenger M1, etc by using the stock unmodded ana digi/ 12 hours ETA chronos. Probably not going to be as accurate as the Breitling SQ movements but I guess it wont matter much to the most if the movement loses 5 seconds or 10 seconds a year. :)

Edited by Tom Hawkes

I didnt say that the rep Seawolf uses the same movt as gen! I know that the rep uses a functionally inaccurate version of the ETA G10.211 Whereas the gen uses a derivative of the ETA 251.232.

I inferred that the rep PD Flat6 uses the same or at least similar (date at 4 instead of 4.5) movt as gen Seawolf:

Central chrono secs

Central chrono mins

1/10th sec subdial @2

12 hr subdial @10

runnings secs @6

that is the same dial format as the PD Flat6 rep.

Whether it is thermocompensated or not makes no difference to a rep. ETA sell quartz chronos by the tag "Thermoline", which as the name suggests are thermocompensated at the factory!

"ETA Thermoline

ETA has developed a complete family of thermo-compensated quartz movements with twenty times the accuracy of standard quartz movements. Designed to successfully complete the different COSC tests, this new generation of chronometers raises performance and reliability limits even further."

IMO, this talk of SQ accuracy is irrelevant, all I'm interested in is if they can rep it accurately....?

I didnt say that the rep Seawolf uses the same movt as gen! I know that the rep uses a functionally inaccurate version of the ETA G10.211 Whereas the gen uses a derivative of the ETA 251.232.

I inferred that the rep PD Flat6 uses the same or at least similar (date at 4 instead of 4.5) movt as gen Seawolf:

Central chrono secs

Central chrono mins

1/10th sec subdial @2

12 hr subdial @10

runnings secs @6

that is the same dial format as the PD Flat6 rep.

Whether it is thermocompensated or not makes no difference to a rep. ETA sell quartz chronos by the tag "Thermoline", which as the name suggests are thermocompensated at the factory!

"ETA Thermoline

ETA has developed a complete family of thermo-compensated quartz movements with twenty times the accuracy of standard quartz movements. Designed to successfully complete the different COSC tests, this new generation of chronometers raises performance and reliability limits even further."

IMO, this talk of SQ accuracy is irrelevant, all I'm interested in is if they can rep it accurately....?

Mate.. you said the rep Flat Six uses the same movement as the gen Breitling. It does not. Case closed.

If you say the differences are irrelevant to you, fine.

(Although I admit, I thought the rep Flat Six uses the G10... )

Edited by Tom Hawkes