When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New postal charge for US

Hi, just a heads up.

There's a new UPS charge being levied on all registered mail to the US and Canada. It's 9AUD or 10USD. Here's a pic from a receipt this morning (the tracking number has been blocked out):

USP-charge.jpg

I asked about it of course and the lady said it's a "security handling surcharge by the US postal service".

It's now more expensive to send registered mail to the Conus than Europe.

edit: someone just let me know that this has been in effect since august last year for parcels over 500g. So another FYI - this is for all registered post. This particular parcel only weighed about 300g.

I'm not sure this has anything to do with Canada.

Mail in Canada is delivered by "Canada Post" which has no affiliation with the "US Postal service", which is also known as "USPS".

It could also be an additional surcharge levied by the Australian Post all on their own with nothng to do with the USA.

UPS = united parcel service. This is the courier company with the brown and gold logos :)

Edited by Cobra

I'm not sure this has anything to do with Canada.

Mail in Canada is delivered by "Canada Post" which has no affiliation with the "US Postal service", which is also known as "USPS".

It could also be an additional surcharge levied by the Australian Post all on their own with nothng to do with the USA.

UPS = united parcel service. This is the courier company with the brown and gold logos :)

yes, you're probably right, I just lumped it in becuase of what it says on the reciept. Probably US only. 'UPS' was a typo on my behalf. USP (for u.s. post i assume) is printed on the reciept and the lady said specifically that it was a charge from the us postal service.

A little update. I had to go to the PO again (a different one this time) because my new 328 is falling apart like a teenager with a fresh pimple on prom night. The other PO seemed a little more knowledgable about it. Said it's a "charge back" from the US postal service. I asked if it was australia only and she said no. Said other countries may be dealing with it differently but it's now standard for the US.

Someone else said it has been in affect for a while but i shipped to the US 3 weeks and didn't get charged this fee.