When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SOSF: Please help with decision on Steelfish purchase

Watchnuts

First of all I'm very grateful to find you guys. I already own 2 gen Breitlings and the wife was not too happy with another gen purchase. Honestly I kinda agree with her, the gen prices when through the roof the last years.

I read all the reviews about the Steelfish and everybody seems to be happy with it. I also read that the blue color does not matches the gen. This is not a problem with me as long as the face has a nice blue to it. My question now to the blue Steelfish owners is do you like the blue? How is it?

Now here is my other question. I want to get the ETA fish from Trusty or Perfect clones. One claims that their fish is waterproofed to 1000m has double AR and 'outstanding' lume with 3 month warranty. The other one does not claim that and is a little cheaper but with 12 month warranty($378 vs $398). Do both offer the same fish?

Thanks guys for getting my first rep this forum rocks. I feel like a kid in a candy store.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Welcome to RWG :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The first 'Swiss version' Steelfish released in 2007 was a superb rep and for awhile it was available with a Breitling font DW. I say was, because I think this version was discontinued or at least that is what every SOSF post on the sales forum has stated for the last year :whistling:

I owned the blue dial rep and it was an awesome watch, much better than any gen you could get for the same price. So good in fact that my wife bought me the gen! Only flaws were uneven lume on the markers (this affected blue dial versions), the lack of lume on the cardinal points on the rehaut, Incorrect font and curved face of the 12, 6, 9 markers and the SS bracelet didn't match the quality of the case. I wore my rep on a gen blue pro diver strap and ignored the other 'Flaws'. 8)

The blue colour of the rep is very nice, the circular guilloche is well defined (unlike the BCE) and if you have never seen the gen dial you will be very happy with it. However, compared to the genuine all of the dials look one dimensional, they don't have the sheen and multi-tonal quality the gen has. :wub:

Hope this has helped! Cheers, :drinks:

What Rich says...adding that there are actually many combos of fish...not all cases are the same and dials can differ....the better cases are the ones with larger flat areas on the crown guard...some also have crystals that extend higher than the bezel - which is also wrong - yet not very noticeable...R

Thanks guys. I have contacted the main dealers on the board and they state that the good one "is long gone". I have to do some more research before I pull the trigger. But to get me started with the rep hobby I wanted to start out with a super rep. Liking the bigger watches I might go with the Ultimate DSSD while searching, reading and dreaming about a Steelfish.

Who has the best DSSD... ! just kidding I'll find it :rolleyes: