When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

If Only Davidsen Can Fix The Font On His Dials

bklm1234

I know it's a known issue. I have no doubt davidsen will get to it sooner or later. But I'm thinking maybe if we talk more about it, davidsen will do it earlier. Look at his 005, http://replica-watch.info/forum/viewtopic....rd&start=15. In case the images are missing, I backed up briank996 images (sorry brian, I don't mean to hijack your images, but when I went back to the link above, your images don't load. I went to my cache and uploaded your images to photobucket so everybody can still see the pics).

133944-18574.jpg

133944-18575.jpg

Look at the watch, paricularly the thick crown and CG. The CG is perfect, the space above and below the lever is even, with the former just a tad thinner than the latter. It totally matches the current HISTORIC pannies. The case, crown, and CG are a perfect foundation for the current 000, 111, 112, 005 models. You know how good his superlume dial and hands, AR sapphire, and movements (even his CN movements are very good - read The Zigmeister's report). If only he makes the dial letters bolder, proper spacing between them, proper position of the words (e.g. the word Panerai should be lower, closer to the indices). That should be very doable. If eddielee can do it, I'm sure davidsen can do it. I think we just have to tell him we want that done very much.

I decided to go the other route, after receiving my 195 from Davidsen, and ordering another dial for relume, I finally ordered a standard 005 dial from one of our dealers and had it relumed...

The standard dials are thicker than Davidsens, so we had to bend the hands very slightly upwards so the whole stack would clear.

Also, the 005 dials are made from his vintage models, where there are troughs made so lume can be filled in, which is not correct for the 005 dial. 005 dials should be flat.

All in all, I am very happy with this watch now, it glows like crazy, the AR is beautiful, the CG is very tight, and the crown is excellent (although I am waiting for a Palp crown for it as well):

134117-18560.jpg

134117-18561.jpg

134117-18562.jpg

I refuse to buy a display back Pam rep with an "upgraded" movement that doesn't look anything like a gen.

I fully agree. Not only does the upgraded movement not look right, it has been altered from the original ETA 6497, thus introducing possible malfunctions. I would far rather have an unaltered ETA 6497 and a correct solid caseback. The ironic thing is that the collectors of the genuine watches value the solid back 'T' dials models while we crave the latest editions even though they are more inaccurate.

Produce an accurate 'T' dial 001, 002, 004, 009 etc and I'll buy one of each.........promise.

Davidsen's 005 has a solid back and it doesn't say the movement is an upgraded, http://replica-watch.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5933. Are you referring to the new 111h he's offering, http://replica-watch.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9459? The pic of his 111h movt (Swiss with swan neck) looks like that of the real 111h on Panerai's official site except for the engraving which has a larger font that the real thing. Are you talking about the engraving? Sorry to be dense.

I just don't get the problem with either the "standard" rep dials or Davidsen's. Having done a buch of Photoshop and Illustrator work recently I can tell you fixing the font on Davidsen's dials and the "A's" on everybody else's is a 30 second job. I can only assume we're talking about intentional flaws, although I sure hope it's just that whoever is printing rep dials is not as anal as we are....yet.