When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Local watchmaker loved my WM9 V2

Jeffmtbr

If anyone read my earlier post you'll know I had the second hand fall off my Wm9 V2 Submariner. I took it to the a watchmaker in town, kinda nervous. Even more nervous when I saw a Gen two -tone sub on his work station.

As someone mentioned he's kinda like the wizard of oz, the man behind the curtain. You only deal with the clerks up front and they relay everything to him if needed.

Well today he called me, to talk about my Wm9 and then came out of his back room to talk when I picked the watch up.

He actually thanked me for bringing the watch in, he enjoyed seeing it and working on it.

He told me he was very impressed with what the Chinese are doing with watches, and how the ETA movement was easily serviceable and built to last.

He said it was "quite the little machine" when referring to the ladies movement inside the watch, and it's size was nothing to worry about in this watch.

I told him I have more watches like this and he was impressed with my Fakey PO that I was wearing when I picked it up. Even dawning the loupe and counting the beat movement.

He asked how much I paid for the Wm9, which for me was about $350. I got one of Georges, "b-stock" watches almost 3 years ago. It had a mark on the clasp.

He said that's about right for movement that was inside.

So cool!! It was a $10 fix and he said I have some "really cool stuff"

Hopefully he doesn't retire soon, I'd say he's past retirement age.

I even lined up some more work for him, I have a Ceramic Sub coming fresh from Vaclume that has a datewheel that sits high. He said if I get the proper wheel he swap them no prob.

So that's my story.

I'm very glad to hear your success story. I don't have a charming veteran watchmaker here .. my luck is with a veteran tailor within brief walking distance of my doorstep. You take your luck as you can get it, I suppose.